2005-02-02 : Archive 165
I've made my second big Dreamation post on the Forge: Roleplaying Theory In Person.
Here, I want to say two things more, things about the Forge that came up in the conversation.
1) When you go back and read a Forge thread, there's no way to understand it fully. We created it in a context of surrounding threads. We created it with a rhythm that we were all aware of and all following intently, which is now gone. We know how long between which posts. We know what each participant was reading and writing elsewhere during those silences. You never can.
2) Creating a Forge thread, sometimes we come to an agreement that's good enough. It's hard won, we do Ron's group hug thing, we go apart - and we start to draw conclusions. What if the agreement was good enough for the thread, but not good enough for drawing the same conclusions? Here's what: we create divergent schools of thought. Gradually we come to realize it - but do we have the energy to tear each other down and start over? Hardly ever.
Do you wonder why I'm doing RPG theory here instead of there? I do sometimes. But when I think about posting some of this stuff there, I start to imagine how far down into the assumptions I'll have to defend. How much wrongness I'll have to engage with and tear down, because of that time when an agreement was good enough for a thread, but not for real.
1. On 2005-02-02, Ben Lehman said:
2. On 2005-02-02, Keith, Goat Master said:
3. On 2005-02-02, Poh Tun Kai said:
4. On 2005-02-02, Chris said:
5. On 2005-02-02, Clinton R. Nixon said:
6. On 2005-02-03, Ninja Hunter J said:
7. On 2005-02-03, Jonathan Walton said:
8. On 2005-02-03, Matt said:
9. On 2005-02-03, Vincent said:
10. On 2005-02-03, Tim Alexander said:
11. On 2005-02-03, Vincent said:
12. On 2005-02-03, Clinton R. Nixon said:
13. On 2005-02-03, Vincent said:
14. On 2005-02-03, Ben Lehman said:
15. On 2005-02-03, Meguey said:
16. On 2005-02-03, Eric Finley said:
17. On 2005-02-03, Vincent said:
18. On 2005-02-03, Vincent said:
19. On 2005-02-03, Tim Alexander said:
20. On 2005-02-03, Keith, Goat Master said:
21. On 2005-02-03, Chris said:
22. On 2005-02-03, Emily Care said:
23. On 2005-02-03, Tim Alexander said:
24. On 2005-02-03, Jonathan Walton said:
25. On 2005-02-07, Doug Ruff said: