2005-02-04 : Archive 168
Endgames for games without defined endgames
Well, you know what I think already. I think that a protagonist starts at a turning point and ends in a static situation. When you land at last in a static situation, that's your endgame. If you want to keep playing that character, you need a new kicker, a new turning point.
Ron talks - especially in Zero at the Bone (that's a pdf link) - about bringing all the characters to crisis at the same time. He has a word for it, I forget. But isn't it cute how "crisis" and "climax" are the same thing?
Does the Mountain Witch has endgame rules, or just "eventually you win to the Mountain Witch"? I didn't notice any rule changes but friend it was 5:00am by then and I wouldn't'a. Nevertheless, we all came to crisis at once. Except you (Keith) and Clinton, that is. And Rob! So never mind. Only some of us came to crisis at once.
Each town in Dogs has sort of an endgame. There's a point where it's clear - I say it out loud if people don't seem to have noticed - that the town's whole grief is revealed, and now what do we do about it?
So, yes, rambling, but there are my thoughts. An endgame in the kind of game I'm talking about is the same thing as an end to the story. Even if you don't have endgame rules, your stories will still end.
1. On 2005-02-04, Matt said:
2. On 2005-02-04, Ben Lehman said:
3. On 2005-02-04, Eric Finley said:
4. On 2005-02-04, Emily Care said:
5. On 2005-02-04, Chris said:
6. On 2005-02-04, Vincent said:
7. On 2005-02-04, Vincent said:
8. On 2005-02-04, Dumb Monkey said:
9. On 2005-02-04, Vincent said:
10. On 2005-02-04, Chris said:
11. On 2005-02-04, Ben Lehman said:
12. On 2005-02-04, Vincent said:
13. On 2005-02-04, Keith, Goat Master said:
14. On 2005-02-04, Meguey said:
15. On 2005-02-04, Matt said:
16. On 2005-02-05, Clinton R. Nixon said:
17. On 2005-02-05, Matt said:
18. On 2005-02-05, Matt said:
19. On 2005-02-05, Judd said:
20. On 2005-02-09, Dav said:
21. On 2005-02-11, Vincent said:
22. On 2005-03-08, Jasper said:
23. On 2005-03-08, Jasper McChesney said: