2005-02-07 : Archive 170
Roleplaying game vs Storytelling game. Which one am I? How do I tell?
I call bogus!
There are movements sometimes to define certain RPGs into or out of "roleplaying games." I'm not impressed. Like, Mike Mearls' definition (must have a GM, must not have a predetermined end) excludes Universalis and My Life with Master, both of which are clearly the same kind of thing as D&D and GURPS. Fiddly historical accidents about what goes along with the roleplaying (a GM, open-endedness, 1 character per player, dice, what have you) seem like a stupid way to build a definition.
Remember my silly diagrams? What makes it roleplaying is the flow of information between the smiley faces and the thought bubble. If your game has that, its an RPG, as far as I'm concerned. Certainly any game you could call a "Storytelling game" would qualify.
There, I've contributed bogosity of my own! Excellent. Now Mike Mearls and whoever else can call me unimpressive, stupid and accidental right back. As it should be.
1. On 2005-02-07, Ninja Hunter J said:
2. On 2005-02-07, Keith, Goat Master said:
3. On 2005-02-07, Chris said:
4. On 2005-02-07, Matt said:
5. On 2005-02-07, Charles said:
6. On 2005-02-07, Charles said:
7. On 2005-02-08, Vincent said:
8. On 2005-02-08, Charles said:
9. On 2005-02-08, Vincent said:
10. On 2005-02-08, Charles said:
11. On 2005-02-08, Charles said:
12. On 2005-02-09, Emily Care said:
13. On 2005-02-09, Vincent said:
14. On 2005-03-13, Tony said: