anyway.

2005-11-29 : Fair Game, also A Big Deal For Me

I haven't announced this here before, so for those of you who haven't found it yourselves, Meg and Emily have a shared blog about roleplaying, ritual, and life: Fair Game. It's very good, as you'll see when you click through. (You may also recognize their blogging software, foibles and all.)

The current post just now is Meg's The End of the Game, about our closing of our long-term Ars Magica-esque game. You can read our actual play writeups by clicking through from here: Adventures In...

My nutshell take goes like this: we went into the game six years ago to find out what we could do, as collaborative roleplayers. We found out, and it was a whole lot of awesomeness, and it contributed to the world's understanding of roleplaying, if you can even credit such a thing. But in the last two or three years we also found out what we couldn't do, and it was a whole lot of awesomeness we were missing out on.

We've also changed from players to designers. I don't think it's a coincidence that the end of our game comes just as Meg's bringing her first game design into a playtestable state.

1. On 2005-11-29, Ron Edwards said:

I've been waiting for this, and expecting it, for a long time now.

Since Dogs was published, especially.

2. On 2005-11-29, Vincent said:

Care to say more about that, Ron?

It's been coming for a while, but it's never been on my timetable alone.

3. On 2005-11-29, Meguey said:

Yeah, Ron, me too.

4. On 2005-11-29, Ron Edwards said:

I think that'll be a private conversation. I'll be in touch.

5. On 2005-11-30, Emily said:

How I see it is that we've gone as far as we can with the current set of skills & techniques that we have now.  I think there is another round of both theory & play that will happen in the next year or two that will let us come back to it, in a different way, and get what we want out of it.

And, of course, I'll be curious to hear what Ron has to say too.

6. On 2005-12-05, Adam Dray said:

For the intensely curious, does anyone care to share a recap of that private conversation?

RSS feed: new comments to this thread