anyway.

2009-10-08 : What ARE Demons For?

Thanks to Simon C., I'm writing what's turning out to be a very fun series of posts about town creation in Dogs in the Vineyard. Check it out if you're interested in the topic:

[Dogs] What are the demons for?

1. On 2009-10-08, Avram said:

Speaking of which, I was watching YouTube clips from The Music Man the other day, and I realized that "Trouble" is an example of Dogs town creation.

(Also, the indie-rpgs.com servers seem to be down right now.)

2. On 2009-10-18, Mathieu Leocmach said:

The demons don't have to be real in the game's setting. During town creation, you have to think like the demons, even if there are no such thing.

Just great. I understand town creation much better now.

3. On 2009-10-19, Vincent said:

I'm happy! Thank you, Mathieu.

I think it's a thread worth reading.

4. On 2009-10-20, Sydney Freedberg said:

> I was watching YouTube clips from The Music Man the other day, and I realized that "Trouble" is an example of Dogs town creation

Ha! So Harold Hill is the sorcerer?

5. On 2009-10-21, Roger said:

Yep, it's a really good thread.  It gets me to thinking.

I guess my gut reaction to "What ARE Demons For?" is "They're for salvation."  In the sense that "These here townfolk aren't bad people; they're just doing bad things.  Because of the demons.  Deal with the demons, and the people are saved."

But I feel like my gut may be leading me very far astray from the flock.  So if it's something you'd like to write about, I'd like to read it.

6. On 2009-10-22, Vincent said:

If I understand you...

That's not how I design towns, but I suppose you could. I like blame to land on human beings - more like, the people want to do something bad, and the demons make them think that they'll get away with it or that it's justified. The demons aren't really to blame. Dealing with the demons lets you reveal the people to themselves, which may heal them and may destroy them.

But if I've missed it, say more, ask more.

RSS feed: new comments to this thread