2010-08-23 : The Drifter's Escape is Amazing
I haven't played it, although all signs point to it being very good. Whatever! The stories are amazing.
The Drifter's Escape, stories by Jake Lehman, game by Ben Lehman.
Somebody said to me once in connection with The Drifter's Escape the phrase "hobo stories," and an image came into my mind, and I thought I understood what The Drifter's Escape was all about without having read it. I was all, "it's, y'know, all about hobo stories, and the man, and the devil." I pictured something like Carnivale, gaudy, faux-momentous, inert.
WRONG. Wrong wrong all wrong. I couldn't have been more wrong. I didn't have a CLUE.
The stories are deft and provocative. They're about us, every day; they're about how I feel about things when I'm not thinking about them. They're about America. They're about what I wish for and what I've accepted in my life instead, and which am I content with and which would I do over?
Meg was trying to get something done and I kept interrupting her. "Oh my GOD you have to hear this paragraph," I said, a bunch of times. "It's SO GOOD."
By chance or whatever, I have a bunch of people in my life who are cool older women, librarians and educators, thoughtful, literate, and friendly toward roleplaying without ever having tried it. I always want to show them our games, but my games are too, y'know, garish-horror-nerdy-juvenile. Now I know!
1. On 2010-08-23, Rafu said:
2. On 2010-08-23, Ron Edwards said:
3. On 2010-08-23, Anna Kreider said:
4. On 2010-08-24, Joe Mcdaldno said:
5. On 2010-08-24, Ben Lehman said:
6. On 2010-08-24, Vincent said:
7. On 2010-08-25, Paul Czege said:
8. On 2010-08-27, Tim Koppang said:
9. On 2010-08-29, Jake Lehman said:
10. On 2010-08-30, Vincent said:
11. On 2010-08-30, Jake Lehman said:
12. On 2010-09-09, talen said:
13. On 2010-09-09, Nate said:
14. On 2010-09-09, Ron Edwards said:
15. On 2010-09-09, Ben Lehman said:
16. On 2010-09-09, Vincent said: