2012-03-04 : Anonymous Followup
a guest post by an anonymous author
I can certify that this author's name appears in the credit(s) of at least one MWP game. This author has given me proof of identity but asks to remain anonymous.
First: I'm no disgruntled Margaret Weis freelancer. I'm fine. I've received checks for my work and would show you the stubs, but with the way you've jumped on Benji there's no fucking way I'm giving you my name. Jesus.
If you're one of the people who have been demanding proof and calling these baseless accusations that damage freelancers: fuck you. Let me say it bigger. FUCK YOU. Fuck you for adding the societal pressure to come forward and say we got paid if we didn't, fuck you for making us feel like if we came forward you'd blame our empty bank accounts on our own misdeeds. Fuck you for preemptively blaming us. The next title I write for, I'd write for free if the developer could guarantee you assholes weren't allowed to buy it.
If you're one of the people using this as a great excuse to call for boycotts and to trash Cam Banks: fuck you. Let me say it bigger. FUCK YOU. Fuck you for taking the money away from freelancers who are waiting for their 30-day check, fuck you for dragging the name of the person who has helped us fight for payment through the mud, fuck you for lumping this company in with proven asshole companies everywhere.
Fuck Benji, too. I get why he did it but this isn't his fight, and of course the people who get snubbed by the indie crowd would jump to defend bad practices when you can paint it as part of the indie divide. Great job all around, all of you can go die in a fire now.
I said before I'm not disgruntled. I think I have one outstanding payment from a long time ago. MWP contracts pay like this: some before you start, some 30-90 days after depending on the contract (if you are lucky enough to get a contract.). MWP actually pays like this: 30-90 days after Christi Cardenas is sick of your shit. You have to keep sending emails she doesn't respond to. You can tell Cam so that he feels terrible, but that will not do anything other than make Cam feel terrible. Christi has the checkbook and she pays you when she's good and ready. A friend of mine got the payment that's due before work starts months after the work was turned in. Someone else is waiting for payment on something from two years ago.
The post-pub payment is a good point though. Or would be, if the situation weren't so fucking messy. Maybe you haven't noticed, but MWP's not so good at releasing books on time. Cash flow issues, all small businesses have them. And freelancers are small businesses too.
So you sign on to work on a game, some money "up front" some after publication, and the thing never actually gets published. Or gets published years later. Is that breach of contract, or is that a shitty-ass situation for everyone involved?
No one is making you freelance for anyone. Some of the ish that comes with working on badass licensed properties is a lack of prompt payment. Is that worth it to you so you can get paid to write about Wolverine? If it is then you don't need to worry about this drama. If it's not work somewhere else. That simple.
But for real, fuck allllllllllll you guys.
1. On 2012-03-05, Chad Underkoffler said:
2. On 2012-03-05, John Harper said:
3. On 2012-03-05, Ryan Macklin said:
4. On 2012-03-05, Vincent said:
5. On 2012-03-05, Meserach said:
6. On 2012-03-05, Robby said:
7. On 2012-03-05, Vincent said:
8. On 2012-03-05, Vincent said:
9. On 2012-03-05, John Harper said:
10. On 2012-03-05, Pete said:
11. On 2012-03-05, misuba said:
12. On 2012-03-05, Zac in Virginia said:
13. On 2012-03-05, Chris Chinn said:
14. On 2012-03-05, Ben Lehman said:
15. On 2012-03-05, Foo said:
16. On 2012-03-05, Evan said:
17. On 2012-03-05, Foo said:
18. On 2012-03-06, Joshua A.C. Newman said:
19. On 2012-03-06, Eric E said:
20. On 2012-03-06, Ben Lehman said:
21. On 2012-03-06, Robert Bohl said:
22. On 2012-03-06, Meserach said:
23. On 2012-03-06, Evan said:
24. On 2012-03-06, Foo said:
25. On 2012-03-06, Wordman said:
26. On 2012-03-07, Corone said:
27. On 2012-03-07, Zac in Virginia said:
28. On 2012-03-08, Zac in Virginia said: