anyway.

2005-07-20 : More RSS

I've implemented RSS feeds for comment threads.

Someday soon maybe I'll get back to talking RPG theory!

1. On 2005-07-20, Vincent said:

Please test it and let me know that it works, oh my RSS readers!

2. On 2005-07-20, Adam Dray said:

Oh! I thought you were going to implement a single feed for all comment threads. That's far more useful to me.

I don't use an aggregator application, per se. I set up LiveJournal aliases for RSS feeds and add them to my friends list. It'd be tedious for me to create a syndication and add a new friend for each topic's comment thread, only to have to remove the friend later on when the thread died.

3. On 2005-07-20, Vincent said:

Done!

http://www.lumpley.com/anyway_allcomments_rss.php
link

4. On 2005-07-21, Adam Dray said:

I've added a LiveJournal syndication for this feed.  LJers, add lumpley_all to your Friends list.

Vincent, does this feed include the topic starters as well? I assume not, based on its name, but I wanted to check.

5. On 2005-07-21, ricmadeira said:

Hey Vincent! Great stuff!

But regarding the articles feed... I noticed you started adding the date to the post titles, but it seems there's support for an optional data field on the RSS feed for the publishing date/time of the articles. According to this here http://www.devx.com/xml/Article/10790 the field is called Pubdate, but you'd better check your sources.

My feed aggregator sorts feed content by publishing date, but since your feed doesn't include that information, your posts get sorted out by the date/time my aggregator visits you. This means all of your posts can end up with the same publishing date when the aggregator recycles everything.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
VB go "Linked."

6. On 2005-07-21, Vincent said:

I've added pubDate. Tell me if it worked!

7. On 2005-07-21, ricmadeira said:

pubDate works like a charm; you're the man, Vincent!

I notice all the posts have the same time of publication (1:00 AM, on my timezone). Will that always be the case or will you start storing the publishing time for your posts on your database too?

8. On 2005-07-21, Vincent said:

Oh, probably...

9. On 2005-07-21, Adam Dray said:

Take a peek at how LiveJournal aggregates your RSS feeds at:

lumpley_all and anyway_rss. Click into a link on any of them.

Observations:
* The hyperlinks work like a charm. Cool.
* The time stamps seem all sorted out. Excellent.
* The markup doesn't seem to be entirely correct (e.g., see the naked tag in this entry).
* The subjects in lumpley_all refers to the topic number but not the topic subject, so it's hard to tell what the topic is without clicking back to anyway to read it. I'd prefer to see "2005-07-20: More RSS, Comment #8 by Vincent" and have the article number and datetime left out of the subject entirely.

Thanks for even entertaining these suggestions. I really appreciate all the effort you're putting into this!

10. On 2005-07-21, Vincent said:

They're useful skills to have, I think. Thanks everybody for giving feedback, I'm learning a lot!

11. On 2005-08-05, Vincent said:

I changed the comment feeds a little. Anybody's subscribed to them, let me know they're still working.

RSS feed: new comments to this thread