anyway.

2006-11-12 : Mechaton walker part list

So the imposing new walkers are in the new field guide, and on the cover of the book, and a couple of people - okay, one person, Carl, has asked me for a part list. I figure that he's not going to be the only person to wonder, so here it is.

This is for a naked walker, no attachments, in Bricklink nomenclature.

For the body and head:
1 x Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Studs on 2 Sides
1 x Hinge, Plate 1 x 2 Locking with 1 Finger On End
1 x Hinge, Plate 1 x 2 Locking with 2 Fingers On End
1 x Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Headlight
1 x Brick, Modified 2 x 1 x 1 1/3 with Curved Top
1 x Plate 1 x 1 (in a transparent color, for the eye)

For the shoulders and legs:
2 x Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Handle - Type 1 (free ends)
2 x Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Light - Type 2 (thick ring)
4 x Hinge, Plate 1 x 2 Locking with 1 Finger On Top
4 x Hinge, Brick 1 x 2 Locking with 2 Fingers Horizontal End
4 x Slope, Inverted 75 2 x 1 x 3
4 x Plate 1 x 3

I like the way that the plate 1 x 2 with handle and the plate 1 x 1 with clip light look, but for some attachments - like the ones shown in the lower right of page 24 - you may want to substitute a simple plate 1 x 2 and plate 1 x 1.

If anybody wants any more part lists or any building directions or whatever, ask away!

1. On 2006-11-12, CarlR said:

Thanks!

The only thing I can't find is that funny curved double-ended wrench thing near the top right of page 24, that holds the goblet rocket.

2. On 2006-11-12, Vincent said:

Oh! That's an Arm Mechanical, Battle Droid.

3. On 2006-11-13, Tom said:

Hi,

So last night I went down to the Construction Store in Waltham looking for some Mechaton supplies.

I saw a very interesting book while I was in there The Unofficial Lego Builder's Guide by Allan Bedford.  What was most interesting about it was the glossary in the back of the book that gave the official Lego terms for the various pieces (so a 2x4 plate or whatever).  Which might make finding/buying Lego bitz easier.

I also picked up this Lego set.  While the listed designs are a bit big for Mechaton, they do come with a lot of useful pieces for building them (including plenty of weapon/mobility/sensor pieces) so it'll be fun to goof around with them.

4. On 2006-12-01, JRS said:

The parts list and exploded diagrams are great for the basic mech, but would it be possible to get parts lists and instructions for the other mechs being used in the campaign game? I'd like to try pitting my own ptimans and chuckers against each other.

5. On 2006-12-01, Vincent said:

That's the plan, at least for the ones I designed. I'll draw up J's too if he wants me to but that's up to him.

I don't know how soon it's going to be, though. Maybe I'll get part lists up this weekend, if you'd be interested in that. The diagrams are a bit more of a pain though, whether I draw them or just render them.

6. On 2006-12-01, Dave said:

Vincent, if you want to use this thread as a repository for mech designs / parts lists, I could post a couple of mine.

7. On 2006-12-01, JRS said:

If you had time to post them this weekend that would be great. :) The sooner I get the parts list the sooner I can get my order in to brick-link. As for the diagrams, even pulling off the arms and legs from a mech and getting detail photos of them as well as the chassis would be helpful.

8. On 2006-12-01, Vincent said:

Dave, go for it.

Julie, sure thing.

9. On 2006-12-01, Dave said:

Cool, here's the parts list / instructions for the latest iteration of my Semi-autonomous Mobile Attack / Recon Tetrapod.

For the chassis:
1 x Dish 2 x 2
4 x Plate 1 x 1 Round with Towball
1 x Plate 2 x 2 Round

Each leg is made of:
Arm Piece with Towball Socket
Arm Piece with Pin and 2 Fingers
Brick 1 x 1 Round with Hollow Stud
And the sexy angled feet (which bricksmith doesn't have, so it's only a 1 x 1 Plate Round in the render) are Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3

That goes together pretty straightforwardly, I think. Into the hole of the 2 x 2 Plate goes a Technic Axle Pin, and on top of that goes the core of the turret, a Brick 1 x 1 with Studs on 4 Sides.

The turret, then, is:
Brick 1 x 1 with Studs on 4 Sides
3 x Plate 1 x 1 on the front, the third of which is a transparent color to make the "eye".
2 x Plate 1 x 1 and a Tile 1 x 1 with Clip on the back, and in the clip goes an Antenna 4H.
On top is his little hat, a Dish 2 x 2 Inverted.

On the exposed side studs of the central brick go Plate 1 x 3s.
The front two studs of those get a Tile 1 x 2 Grille, and the back one gets a Technic Brick 1 x 1 with Hole to hold the gun.

The gun assembly is a Technic Pin with Friction through another Technic Brick 1 x 1 with Hole, in the exposed bottom of which goes a Brick 1 x 1 Round with Hollow Stud, and in the bottom of that goes another Technic Pin with Friction for the gun barrel.

46 pieces (I just bricklinked parts for 2 for like 8 bucks), a green die, a yellow die, and 2 red dice plus a red d8 at direct fire! They're smallish, so you may have to assume they're AI-controlled, but what the hey.

10. On 2006-12-01, Dave said:

And you know, a 3 x 3 dish would look much better for his hat in retrospect. Ah well.

11. On 2006-12-01, NinJ said:

I don't know which guys you're talking about, but you can represent any of my dudes, if you like.

12. On 2006-12-01, anon. said:

They're smallish, so you may have to assume they're AI-controlled, but what the hey.

No dude, they're controlled by a brain in a jar. Or a midget.

13. On 2006-12-01, Rich Stokes said:

I'm just starting to play with LDraw.  Is there somewhere we can all dump LDraw files to share designs?

14. On 2006-12-03, Dave said:

Brickshelf, I think, lets you post .ldr files - I've seen a few folders with them, anyway.

15. On 2006-12-06, Dave said:

...And on that note, I have renders (since my macrophotography skillz suck) and .ldr files for all my current mech designs up on my Brickshelf gallery.

16. On 2007-02-07, Mech Master said:

Dave-

Mech=geekgasm. Jeez, I need to get on Brickshelp and start designing mine, as my brother's digital camera doesn't work.

17. On 2010-09-03, Kioty said:

what part is this:Brick, Modified 2 x 1 x 1 1/3 with Curved Top
i cant seem to find it on brick link...

18. On 2010-09-03, Mantisking said:

@Kioty;

It's part number 6091 in the Brick, Modified section.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6091

RSS feed: new comments to this thread