anyway.

2008-03-15 : I saw 10,000 BC

...And it's ¾ stupid and ¼ the Wicked Age.

If you can stand ¾ stupid, I recommend the other ¼.

1. On 2008-03-16, Eppy said:

You're about ??? of the way to standing the ?? stupid just by ignoring the title.

2. On 2008-03-16, Vincent said:

Oh crap! My handrolled blog software bogered your comment. Razznfrazzn. Half of the way? One third of the way? Less? More?

I can forgive them 10,000 BC. If they'd called it 10,000 BCE, though, NO WAY.

3. On 2008-03-16, Eppy said:

Twas a third.

After watching the film, I realized that I could go on and on about what was wrong with it, and how I would have done it differently—which, as it turns out, is usually a good sign that it would make fertile ground for a game. In fact, many of the points I didn't like are exactly the sort of things that games handle better than fiction.

4. On 2008-03-17, Julia said:

I give it half stupid, 1/4 Wicked Age, and 1/4 good hairstyling tips for dreadlocked Julia.
Yay for the multicultural/multiethnic cast, but stupid how the Eurasian/North American people somehow made it to a sub-Saharan region before actually reaching North Africa.

Yay for the scary anachronistic giant turkeys, but stupid how no group of people kept domesticated dogs, especially the mammoth hunters!

And Chris and both expected the tiger to say "Duuuude!"

Yay for the dreads, stupid how they couldn't find a blue eyes actress, or at least better blue contact lens for her.

Overall, I thought it was really fun. There were parts of it that really reminded me of our IAWA game from September. Our game fixed the broken parts of 10000 BC for sure.

5. On 2008-03-17, Emily said:

Yay for the multicultural/multiethnic cast, but stupid how the Eurasian/North American people somehow made it to a sub-Saharan region before actually reaching North Africa.

Oh! They must have been coming from the South Pole! Of course! For some reason, the fact that they came through tropical rainforest on their way to the desert again drove me insane! :) And at least the had the good grace to explain the completely anachronistic weapon etc. technologies the "4-legged demons" had, but please, why even begin by choosing that setting?

But, remarkably, the movie was kind of fun anyway. I definitely would have liked it better as a game of Wicked though. Then we'd get to say, "laws suck! Kill the gods!" and mean it. Oh, yeah.  :)

ps and Vincent, when do you think IAWA is set? 3,000 BCE? 6,000 BCE? Certainly not 10,000 BCE. No, no...

;)

6. On 2008-03-20, Neon Fox said:

Vincent, when do you think IAWA is set?

Personally, I know exactly when IAWA is set: Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Areus, there was an age undreamed of...

Not being Vincent, however, my opinion is not authoritative.

7. On 2008-03-22, Brennen said:

Ha. This whole time, I was thinking you guys rented 1,000,000 BC, Raquel Welch's first movie (a Hammer Production). Since I saw 10,000 BC last Sunday, I think this illustrates how much impact the movie had on my imagination.

RSS feed: new comments to this thread