2009-11-23 : The interesting prob with Sons of Anarchy
I've watched a good bunch of Sons of Anarchy now. I'm not quite caught up but getting close. Here's what I think: its writers expect us to make allowances for the characters for what they feel, over what they do. For instance:
Clay: I'm going to keep this thing secret from Ope to protect myself.
Jax: Well I'M going to keep it secret from Ope too, but I feel cranky about it.
The writers expect us to think that Clay and Jax are morally different - that Jax is a better person than Clay - even though they're making the same moral decision.
It's something that The Shield (for instance) never asked of us, but something that Battlestar Galactica (for instance) expected of us constantly. I'm finding it weak, but a pretty interesting weakness.
Otherwise it's a fun show.
1. On 2009-11-23, Buddha said:
2. On 2009-11-23, Joshua A.C. Newman said:
3. On 2009-11-23, Ben Lehman said:
4. On 2009-11-23, Vincent said:
5. On 2009-11-23, Shane said:
6. On 2009-11-23, tonydowler said:
7. On 2009-11-23, Vincent said:
8. On 2009-11-23, Chris said:
9. On 2009-11-23, Brand Robins said:
10. On 2009-11-23, Ben Lehman said:
11. On 2009-11-24, Larry L said:
12. On 2009-11-24, valamir said:
13. On 2009-11-24, Vincent said:
14. On 2009-11-24, valamir said:
15. On 2009-11-25, Julie, aka jrs said:
16. On 2009-11-30, Vincent said:
17. On 2009-11-30, Vincent said:
18. On 2009-12-01, Vincent said: