2011-04-02 : Owl and Raven
There's a very cool new thing in Northampton Mass, Owl and Raven: a place for friends. Emily, Eppy, Joshua, Carrie and I went to their open house yesterday.
They're running an after-school program featuring roleplaying games. It's designed to be inviting and useful for kids with a variety of special needs, ages 8-14. They're designing their own game for it, and what they've got so far looks rock-solid for their audience. I expect them to publish it one day.
During the day, they want to be an open workspace, like a café, they say, only you know how if someone is working on something interesting in a café, you don't really dare to go up and ask them about it? At Owl and Raven, they want people to go up and ask people about their projects.
And in the evenings they're also going to host local skillshares - come and learn useful things from the people around who know them. I'm pretty sure that we'll go and talk about publishing, for instance. I'm thinking about a quick program in game design, too. "Guaranteed to push conventional wisdom down and take its lunch money."
It's an ambitious project! They're trying to accomplish something here that could be really great, if they can reach a critical mass. I'm in. If you're in Western Mass, come check it out.
1. On 2011-04-02, Ben Lehman said:
2. On 2011-04-03, Joshua A.C. Newman said:
3. On 2011-04-04, Josh W said:
4. On 2011-04-04, Hannah said:
5. On 2011-04-04, Vincent said:
6. On 2011-04-04, John Harper said:
7. On 2011-04-04, Alex D. said:
8. On 2011-04-05, Joshua A.C. Newman said:
9. On 2011-04-06, Alex D. said:
10. On 2011-04-06, Lukas Myhan said: