anyway.

2014-12-22 : #IndieRPGbiz

Copied over from Twitter

Dec 20
0. I feel a stirring, a renewal of purpose and hope, in the earth deep under my indie feet. This is bad news. It means fighting.

Today
1. Most people who cry "mutualism!" just want you to cut them in. Find the real mutualism. It's powerful but not always obvious.

2. Always learn and understand the business interests of the people you join up with, so you know whether you can trust them.

3. Established game lines want you to challenge them on production and promotion, so that they will win.

4. Challenge established game lines on gameplay instead. A better game, in plain text, can win players away, no matter how fancy.

5. Real mutualism is predicated on the business autonomy of all parties.

6. When you create your first game, you're like a band starting out. Build a local fanbase, an internet fanbase.

7. It's the clamor of your fans that gets your games into game stores, so cultivate your fans first and foremost.

8. Having a standing body of work is great. It softens many blows. I recommend it! But nobody starts out with one.

9. A fan is better for your business than a customer, and a colleague is better for your business than a fan. This is mutualism.

1. On 2014-12-28, Moreno R. said:

Drums in the darkness?

2. On 2014-12-28, Christoph said:

Neat tips, thanks for sharing.

3. On 2015-01-01, Josh W said:

1 and 5 alone sound amusingly Randian.

4. On 2015-01-07, JMendes said:

This is quite interesting and very applicable to many other forms of business. I shall show it around!

RSS feed: new comments to this thread