2016-04-26 : A Quick & Dirty Outline
Meg and I gave a talk at a college con recently, and I thought I'd share our quick & dirty outline.
Topic 1: Why Create?
• Why a new game?
• Why a new roleplaying game?
• Why a new fantasy roleplaying game?
I know you have answers to these questions or you wouldn't be creating a new fantasy RPG.
• Your three insights.
Topic 2: RPGs are Games
• Games have objects.
• What do you do?
• The game is the tension between them.
How do you achieve the object of the game, using the moves of the game?
Topic 3: RPGs are Unusual Games
• The purpose of an rpg's rules is to get you and your friends to say something interesting.
• When you create an rpg's rules, you create a bell curve of experiences.
• What-if yourself out of conventionality.
Topic 4: Writing
• Hack what you like to make what you love.
• Explain your game, not RPGs. (RPGs are not one game.)
• Kill your darlings.
Topic 5: Publishing
• Don't go broke, publish yourself.
• Compete where they're weak.
• "It takes 20 years to make an overnight success."
Questions and observations always welcome!
1. On 2016-04-27, nerdwerds said:
2. On 2016-04-27, Jim D. said:
3. On 2016-04-29, Vincent said:
4. On 2016-05-08, hamnacb said:
5. On 2016-05-09, Vincent said:
SM go "KYD to me also comes with a dash of "just finish the damn thing!""*
*click in for more
6. On 2016-05-10, hamnacb said:
7. On 2016-05-10, Moreno R said: