2006-01-13 : Some remarks, mostly re: media
1. I just bought the first half of Battlestar Galactica season 2 on DVD, knowing full well that in another 6-8 months I'm probably going to have to buy it again when I buy all of season 2. Why? Because it is AWESOME.
2. ...But not quite as awesome as Veronica Mars.
3. Speaking of Veronica Mars and Dashiell Hammett (I just read Red Harvest), I watched a few episodes of Monk, and you know what? Detective fiction has ruined me for mystery fiction. I watch Monk and I'm like, "what, the guy's big sin is that he killed someone? Pfeh, some big sin, show me his SOUL. And Monk's big virtue is that he's smarter than everybody? Good grief. Where's Monk's moral authority? Where's his moral compromise? Where's the moral content AT ALL?"
4. Question: House M.D., does it count as detective fiction (again, NOT mystery fiction)? Answer: yes, but it's a bit tortured into that shape. I only wish that the show could be more about the humanity between House and his patients than about the humanity between House and the other hospital people - so it's like detective fiction where what matters is between the detectives, not between the detective and the victims and criminals. Oh well, still a great show.
However, and I don't know about all hospitals, but in the hospital I work in a) there are far fewer glass walls, and b) there's far less cleavage.
5. I wish the Forge had marginalia. Particularly, I like Ron's counterfactual use of "almost," as though you could compare two things that both didn't happen and say "this one didn't happen more than the other one; the other one also didn't happen, but it less didn't happen." I don't think he's wrong - far from it - I just like it. It tickles my word use funnybone.
6. Damn Veronica Mars is good TV. At least season 1 is. Who here's watched it?
1. On 2006-01-13, Matt Wilson said:
2. On 2006-01-13, Vincent said:
3. On 2006-01-13, ScottM said:
4. On 2006-01-13, Jon Hastings said:
5. On 2006-01-13, Brendan said:
6. On 2006-01-13, Vincent said:
7. On 2006-01-13, John Laviolette said:
8. On 2006-01-13, TonyLB said:
9. On 2006-01-13, MikeC said:
10. On 2006-01-14, mayuran said:
11. On 2006-01-14, Charles said:
CS go "My vision"*
JCL go "why third season?"*
CS go "Slow pace (spoilers)"*
KM go "Yeah"*
XP go "Totally agree"*
*click in for more
12. On 2006-01-14, Judd said:
13. On 2006-01-16, James Nostack said:
14. On 2006-01-16, James Holloway said:
MSM go "How will Monk wince this week?"*
JEH go "Yeah, exactly"*
*click in for more
15. On 2006-01-26, Uruush said: