2006-06-15 : The who and why of the owe list
Imagine a world where what a person wants is undiluted by ideas about what they ought to want. A world where the idea of having laws at all is brand new, for instance; a world where the gods are just demons size XXL, as capricious and petty as people, just with more obscure appetites; a world where principles and ideals are assumed contingent, convenient or inconvenient never right or wrong. A world where you don't have any reason to expect justice, where it would never occur to you that God or the state might make sure you're okay. The idea of having laws at all is brand new. Laws haven't become part of the human psyche.
Imagine that there you are and you're bold, capable, and sure. You can have what you want, if you can win what you want.
What do you do? If you can do what you might do, will you?
It's an interesting question, but not all the answers are interesting. Here are two answers that I simply do not care about:
"I dedicate my strengths relentlessly to a selfish pursuit of my own interests."
"I flutter ineffectively against others relentlessly pursuing their own interests, without hindering them in any way."
I become a bully; I become a victim. Not interesting.
That's why they don't go on the owe list.
1. On 2006-06-15, Vincent said:
NinJ go "HOLY FUCK THAT SOUNDS SO GOOD."
MB go "Soooooo down for that!"
2. On 2006-06-15, Larry Lade said:
3. On 2006-06-15, Vincent said:
4. On 2006-06-15, Vincent said:
5. On 2006-06-15, Avram said:
6. On 2006-06-15, Vincent said:
7. On 2006-06-15, Valamir said:
8. On 2006-06-15, Larry Lade said:
9. On 2006-06-15, Valamir said:
10. On 2006-06-15, Chris said:
11. On 2006-06-15, Vincent said:
12. On 2006-06-16, Chris said:
13. On 2006-06-16, Ben Lehman said:
14. On 2006-06-16, Jason M said:
15. On 2006-06-17, Larry Lade said:
16. On 2006-06-17, Brand Robins said:
17. On 2006-06-18, Natz said:
18. On 2006-06-19, brianm said:
19. On 2006-06-19, Vincent said:
20. On 2006-06-19, Natz said:
21. On 2006-06-20, colin roald said:
22. On 2006-06-20, Vincent said:
23. On 2006-06-21, colin roald said:
24. On 2006-06-21, Vincent said: