2005-04-04 : Participant vs. Author?
Player-as-participant is when the player interacts with the game. Player-as-author is when the player creates the game. I'm simplifying those definitions for the sake of brevity.
Current design theory says that both those player roles are required (often simultaneously) for a good RPG. Player-as-author is a part of the foundation of ideas that raise current design theory above conventional RPGs. In other words, it's a known and accepted thing. Is there really a need to continue distinguishing between the two?
Now somehow I've miscommunicated about this. My original intention, here, was to shed light on two different points of view from which you can examine resolution rules. You can look at what the rules do among the players, and you can look at what the rules do to the fictional events in the game. You can examine the rules for their role in mediating participation, their procedural content, and you can examine them for their role in constructing the game's fiction, their imaginative content.
So no, it's not two different player roles between which you switch off, or anything like that. Given functional play you are always simultaneously participating and creating in-game stuff, for the simple, obvious reason that creating in-game stuff is what you're participating in.
So now, this underlies the Strong Stuff Indeed conversation, and that's where I want to go with it, but first let's make sure everybody's here. Everybody, speak up if you aren't with me!
1. On 2005-04-04, Emily Care said:
2. On 2005-04-04, xenopulse said:
3. On 2005-04-04, Ben Lehman said:
4. On 2005-04-04, TonyLB said:
5. On 2005-04-05, ethan_greer said:
6. On 2005-04-05, Vincent said:
7. On 2005-04-05, anon. said:
8. On 2005-04-05, ethan_greer said:
9. On 2005-04-06, Hello Sailor said:
10. On 2005-04-06, Vincent said:
11. On 2005-04-07, ScottM said:
12. On 2005-04-07, xenopulse said:
13. On 2005-04-07, Vincent said:
14. On 2005-04-07, xenopulse said:
15. On 2005-04-07, Vincent said:
16. On 2005-04-08, Hello Sailor said:
17. On 2005-04-08, Hello Sailor said:
18. On 2005-04-08, Vincent said:
19. On 2005-04-08, Vincent said:
20. On 2005-04-08, Ben Lehman said:
21. On 2005-04-08, Vincent said:
22. On 2005-04-08, Hello Sailor said:
23. On 2005-04-11, Vincent said:
24. On 2005-04-12, Chris said:
25. On 2005-04-12, Vincent said:
26. On 2005-04-12, Chris said:
27. On 2005-04-13, Vincent said:
28. On 2005-04-13, Chris said:
29. On 2005-04-14, Chris said:
30. On 2005-04-14, Vincent said:
31. On 2005-04-15, Chris said: