2006-10-17 : My roleplaying summary
When I was a kid, I played Zork, on the computer. That was the start.
Then I played freeform face-to-face Zork. I was the computer.
Then I played D&D, in some incarnation, I'm not clear which. I was not allowed to have a cloak of invisibility like I'd seen on the TV show, and I suffered confustion about just who was the Dungeon Master: was it Matt, or was it this little character with a beard?
Then I played freeform bad fantasy fiction. I was Terry Brooks, Robert Asprin and Dennis McKiernan, smashed together and regressed to 13 years old.
Then I played Star Frontiers, briefly.
Then I played more freeform fantasy and some freeform Star Frontiers.
At some point concurrently I played D&D, in some other unclear incarnation.
Then I played a single session of M.E.R.P. I was not allowed to be Legolas. I know, imagine that, but I was affronted.
Then I played Talislanta.
Then I played a cyberpunk homebrew, rooted in Cyberpunk 1st and Space Master.
Then I played Shadowrun.
Then I played Millennium's End.
Then I played more Talislanta.
Then I played Cyberpunk 1st.
Then I played AD&D 2nd.
Then I played Ars Magica 2nd.
Then I played more Shadowrun.
Meanwhile - from Shadowrun to Shadowrun - I played single sessions of a variety of games, including Pendragon, Paranoia, other people's homebrews, and Vampire 1st.
Then I played the Ennead's freeform Ars Magica-esque game.
Then I played Mage.
Then I played a single session of Over the Edge, which I fumbled badly.
Then I played Mage + Nephilim.
Then I played Ars Magica 3rd-ish.
Then I designed and played the Cheap & Cheesy Fantasy Game.
Then I played some ill-fated Ars Magica conversions and homebrews, including one especially hilarious Pendragon conversion.
Then I played our own freeform Ars Magica game.
In the middle of that game I a) wrote kill puppies for satan and later played it, and b) connected with the Forge.
Then I played demo sessions of Charnal Gods, My Life with Master, The Pool (technically the Anti-pool), Universalis, John Wick's freeform Harry Potter game, and probably another game or two, plus ten-minute demos of half a dozen games, including notably The Riddle of Steel and The Burning Wheel.
Then I designed and played Dogs in the Vineyard.
Then I played a playtest session of Breaking the Ice.
Then I played Primetime Adventures.
Then I played playtest sessions Under the Bed and Polaris.
Then I played one-shots of The Mountain Witch and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
Then I played more Primetime Adventures.
Then our freeform Ars Magica game ended.
Then I played still more Primetime Adventures.
Then I played a zillion playtest sessions of The Dragon Killer, not one of which was fun.
Then I played playtest sessions of Shock:, Shooting the Moon, and 1001 Nights.
Then I designed and played In a Wicked Age, which I'm still in the process of writing.
Then I played Dogs in the Vineyard.
Then I played Agon.
Then I played a 3-session playtest of Sign In Stranger.
Now I'm playing Shock: and I think we're about to play Sorcerer, at last.
1. On 2006-10-17, Vincent said:
2. On 2006-10-17, Ben Lehman said:
3. On 2006-10-17, Vincent said:
4. On 2006-10-17, John Harper said:
5. On 2006-10-17, Vincent said:
6. On 2006-10-17, Judd said:
7. On 2006-10-17, Jay Loomis said:
8. On 2006-10-18, Judd said:
9. On 2006-10-18, Vincent said:
10. On 2006-10-18, Tom said:
11. On 2006-10-18, Valamir said:
12. On 2006-10-18, Charles S said:
13. On 2006-10-18, Brand Robins said:
14. On 2006-10-18, joshua m. neff said:
15. On 2006-10-18, Seth Ben-Ezra said:
16. On 2006-10-18, Twila said:
17. On 2006-10-18, ScottM said:
18. On 2006-10-18, Roger said:
19. On 2006-10-18, Meguey said:
20. On 2006-10-18, ffilz said:
21. On 2006-10-18, Sempiternity said:
22. On 2006-10-18, Ian Burton-Oakes said:
23. On 2006-10-18, Meguey said:
24. On 2006-10-18, ffilz said:
25. On 2006-10-18, Meguey said:
26. On 2006-10-19, Warren said:
27. On 2006-10-23, Sydney Freedberg said:
28. On 2006-10-23, Sydney Freedberg said:
29. On 2006-10-23, Vincent said:
30. On 2006-10-30, Jeff Z said:
31. On 2007-04-23, anon. said:
32. On 2007-04-23, jeff said:
33. On 2007-04-25, Ben Lehman said:
34. On 2007-05-14, Robby said: