2008-01-09 : There's a Chinese restaurant in my head
I go there whenever I’m in a city in my dreams - usually New York or Indy these days. It’s a good place, not fancy. Sometimes it’s closed and I stand outside looking at the stuff in the windows. It has a little grocery attached, to one side or sometimes out through the back. It’s clearly based strongly on Korean Restaurant in Hadley, but it has other bases as well. Its proprietress is a woman about the same size and age as my mom, but Chinese naturally.
They say that your brain remembers dream stuff the same way it remembers real stuff. Over time and recurrance, dream places become familiar the same way real places do. So sometimes I go in and I’m like, “hey, didn’t the door to the little grocery used to be on the other side? I like what you’ve done with the place.”
The other night I was in there and she was surprised to see me. She was setting up for some kind of special event, but of course I couldn’t read the sign in the window that said so. I had Tovey on my back. It was raining a little. She made sure I wanted takeout, so I wouldn’t interfere with her event, but sure, she’d make me lunch. She pointed on the menu to the things she’d be willing to make. Tovey and I agreed on duck, so she charged me $9.00 for duck chunks in smoky tea broth with thin flat egg noodles. I had the cash in my coat pocket but at the last minute I’d left my coat over the back of a chair in the hotel room - I told her I could run get it and be back by the time my food was ready. She rolled her eyes.
I woke up before I got to eat. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve gotten to actually eat anything in a dream. Something always interferes, always. This is the Chinese restaurant of my unfulfilled hungers.
1. On 2008-01-09, Ben Lehman said:
2. On 2008-01-09, Vincent said:
3. On 2008-01-09, Ben Lehman said:
4. On 2008-01-09, Vincent said:
5. On 2008-01-09, Vincent said:
6. On 2008-01-09, Ben Lehman said:
7. On 2008-01-09, Vincent said:
8. On 2008-01-09, Ben Lehman said:
9. On 2008-01-09, Julie, aka jrs said:
10. On 2008-01-09, Vincent said:
11. On 2008-01-09, Julia said:
12. On 2008-01-10, Uriel said:
13. On 2008-01-14, DannyK said:
14. On 2009-11-03, New Fortune in Western Mass said: