2005-03-05 : Policy in the Face of Failure
I'm sitting here doing my morning surf, clicking here and there, reading a Forge thread if its title catches my eye, reflecting on this ordeal just past...
We fought SO HARD to get the identity politics out of GNS. For three years, every single time, one of us would say "there are no Simulationists, there's Simulationist play." "Your question doesn't mean anything," one of us would say, "let's talk about how your game went instead."
We've stopped saying it.
It was inevitable, probably. The subject matter isn't (as Ben pointed out to me) hard like physics, but it's harder than just having an opinion. If, on top of its technical difficulty, you come to it with incorrect preconceptions - it can seem like exclusionary nonsense. Now, instead of being able to tell you what it means, we have to fight with you. How long were we going to keep doing that, wave after wave of new people with the same incorrect preconceptions?
The incorrect preconceptions have won. The identity politics have won. I cede the field.
So here's my little blog's new policy on roleplaying theory:
I'm interested in collaborative thematic play. I'm interested in any and every way to get it; I'm interested in doing game design that makes it easy.
I'm willing to talk about non-collaborative and/or non-thematic play, of course, but ticking in the back of my head will always be "how can I use this to get what I want...?"
I'm absolutely committed to a clear and solid description of what happens when we roleplay. I'm absolutely committed to my every prescription being supported by it.
But we have a perfectly good venue for discussion of GNS: the Forge. From now on, anybody who wants to talk about GNS as such with me should contact me there.
1. On 2005-03-05, Ben Lehman said:
2. On 2005-03-05, LordSmerf said:
3. On 2005-03-05, Chris said:
4. On 2005-03-05, Ben Lehman said:
5. On 2005-03-05, Vincent said:
6. On 2005-03-06, Per said:
7. On 2005-03-07, Luke said:
8. On 2005-03-07, Vincent said:
9. On 2005-03-07, Brennan said:
10. On 2005-03-07, Luke said:
11. On 2005-03-07, xenopulse said:
12. On 2005-03-07, Vincent said:
13. On 2005-03-07, xenopulse said:
14. On 2005-03-15, Lee Short said:
15. On 2005-03-15, Vincent said:
16. On 2005-03-15, Lee Short said: