2005-06-16 : The Forge and Me
Down here, JasonL says:
Frankly, 3-years of reading stuff on the Forge didn’t get me much learning.
I’ve been a religious reader of this here blog for, what, four months now, and learned more about actual design theory than I ever did trolling the Forge.
But, that kind of hard-core theory has it’s place.
Nothing personal, Jason. You aren’t the first person to say that to me. If you’re the one I finally answer strongly, it’s just coincidence, it had to be someone. I address this post to everyone!
Some time ago, at the Forge, Ron wrote:
For what it’s worth, Vincent and I are in 100% agreement in terms of all that theory-stuff, so if it matters to anyone, whatever he says is plain old Forge-ness to me. But if it helps someone to think of using his (great) material as a defiance of nasty ol’ Forge jargon and theory-heads, then so be it. Either way is good.
(Here’s the post, but the rest of it’s irrelevant.)
I’m not quite as comfy with “either way is good,” so let me be clear. The theory here is the same as the theory at the Forge. If you can learn it from me but not from the Forge, that’s about the circumstances under which you yourself can learn, not about any differences in the theory.
Having read me here for a while, you should go reread Ron’s essays, understanding that I’ve been simply agreeing with them right along. You’ll learn a lot.
But really it’s totally legit, being able to learn the theory here but not in the Forge forums. I don’t blame you. For instance I’m nicer than the Forge. Also this place is less noisy, plus I have one-on-one time and authority - it’s very difficult to tell in the forums what’s authoritative and what isn’t. What really represents the theory vs. what’s just one person’s wack misunderstanding, but presented as given.
Learning theory at the Forge was never super easy, and I think it’s gotten way harder since I did it. We can talk about that if you want.
But: I am Forge outreach. This is Forge diaspora. I’m glad that what I’m doing here is working for you. I’m glad you can join us!
1. On 2005-06-16, Ben Lehman said:
2. On 2005-06-16, JasonL said:
3. On 2005-06-16, JasonL said:
4. On 2005-06-16, Emily Care said:
5. On 2005-06-16, JasonL said:
6. On 2005-06-16, xenopulse said:
7. On 2005-06-17, Charles said:
8. On 2005-06-17, Ninja Hunter J said:
9. On 2005-06-17, Charles said:
10. On 2005-06-17, Vincent said:
11. On 2005-06-17, Ninja Hunter J said:
12. On 2005-06-17, Emily Care said:
13. On 2005-06-17, anon. said:
14. On 2005-06-18, John Kim said:
15. On 2005-06-18, Vincent said:
16. On 2005-06-18, Charles said:
17. On 2005-06-19, Claire said:
18. On 2005-06-20, Vincent said:
19. On 2005-06-20, Clinton R. Nixon said:
20. On 2005-06-20, ethan_greer said:
21. On 2005-06-20, JasonL said:
22. On 2005-06-20, Vincent said:
23. On 2005-06-20, Vincent said:
24. On 2005-06-20, Meguey said:
25. On 2005-06-21, ethan_greer said:
26. On 2005-06-21, Vincent said:
27. On 2005-06-21, Clinton R. Nixon said:
28. On 2005-06-21, Valamir said:
29. On 2005-06-21, Vincent said:
30. On 2005-06-21, JasonL said:
31. On 2005-06-21, Ben Lehman said:
32. On 2005-06-21, ethan_greer said:
33. On 2005-06-21, Paul Czege said:
34. On 2005-06-21, Troy_Costisick said:
35. On 2005-06-21, Adam Dray said:
36. On 2005-06-21, Chris said:
37. On 2005-06-21, Ben Lehman said:
38. On 2005-06-21, Ninja Hunter J said:
39. On 2005-06-21, Paul Czege said:
40. On 2005-06-21, Ed H said:
41. On 2005-06-21, Adam Dray said:
42. On 2005-06-21, Clinton R. Nixon said:
43. On 2005-06-21, Vincent said:
44. On 2005-06-21, Ben Lehman said:
45. On 2005-06-21, anon. said:
46. On 2005-06-21, Paul Czege said:
47. On 2005-06-21, Ed H. said:
48. On 2005-06-21, Ed H said:
49. On 2005-06-21, Ninja Hunter J said:
50. On 2005-06-21, Ed H said:
51. On 2005-06-22, Valamir said:
52. On 2005-06-22, Vincent said: