anyway.

2011-03-18 : Creating Passionate Users

Hey so I really do recommend that you go take a look at the archives of Creating Passionate Users, whether you're designing or publishing or both, if "passionate users" sounds like a thing you might want.

Here's a good one: Sometimes the magic is in the imperfections.

And you can't go wrong with Death by Risk Aversion.

Go read, and link us here to what you find most interesting!

1. On 2011-03-19, stefoid said:

The bit on twitter/continuous partial attention.  I dont use twitter but as much as I love the internet, its a curse on flow.

2. On 2011-03-20, Simon C said:

I don't think it's controversial to say that a good number of early adopters of D&D loved it because it was incomplete and confusing and raw. People who played either loved the idea enough to figure out how to play it, or they left. The ones that stayed loved the game even more because of the work they'd put into it.

There's a similar thing in Bliss Stage, for me at least, where a lot of the procedures are pretty unclear or difficult to do in real life, and sure that's offputting but also it's kind of exciting, and when you work out how to do it with your group, it feels very personal and intimate.

It's a fine line though. I'm sure a lot of people dropped D&D when they couldn't work out how to play from the text alone, and I'm sure some people have found Bliss Stage difficult and confusing.

3. On 2011-03-21, stefoid said:

Oh, and I dont think "the magic is in the imperfections", its in the spontaneity, which often comes with imperfections as a side effect.  Doesnt mean everything that is spontaneous is awesome, its most likely just as crap as anything else, but you are much more likely to be in focus/flow/whatever you want to call it when you are spontaneous and thats where magic happens.

Why dont they teach us flow at school?

4. On 2011-03-21, Simon C said:

At the risk of starting an argument:

When people say "Why don't they teach X at school?", I always hear "Why can't we force everybody to think like me?"

5. On 2011-03-21, stefoid said:

That must be confusing.

6. On 2011-03-21, Simon C said:

Hah! Touche!

I just mean that everyone has different ideas about what's important for everybody to know, and usually those ideas come from the person's own class and cultural background.

It seems like sometimes there is an assumption that if something is important and central to your own understanding of the world, everyone else is missing out if they don't have the same understanding.

That's not neccesarily a bad assumption, either. I mean, that's why we teach reading and writing and such at school, which I think is quite a good idea.

RSS feed: new comments to this thread