2012-06-12 : Color and Currency!
A reader* wrote me:
Are your color and currency posts organized somewhere? I want to read them.
The answer is, some of them! I’ve been talking about very little else since 2010. Let me see what I can do for you.
Here’s a basic look at color from way back in 2006:
Color is the concrete details of character, setting, situation and system.
What might be going on is that you’re accustomed to thinking of a character’s color as the character, etc.
Here’s a character (with a hint of situation): a person having an illicit affair.
Here’s the character, colored in: a man in his early 30s, well-off, married, educated, owning property, childless, having an illicit affair with another man, with whom he is not in love.
Here’s a setting for him: a city with a substantial economic gap between its rich and its poor.
Here’s the setting, colored in: London in the early 1700s.
So your concern - how do we make color important without turning it into character, setting, situation, system? - is groundless. Color is important, it’s what makes character, setting, situation and system real.
(from this comment)
Currency just means the relationships between your game’s subsystems, but what’s especially interesting are the relationships between your game’s subsystems at different timescales. How does your character’s success or failure in this moment change the landscape of play? How does it become real in the longer term?
In early 2010 I did a whole series about currency, which (no coincidence) is all about color too. The first post explains what currency is, and then I go chasing after something I called “unreliable currency”:
2010-02-16 : Things on Character Sheets (2)
2010-02-18 : Currency - Spanning Divide and Range
2010-02-19 : Shared Positioning at the Micro
2010-02-23 : Can your brains just do it?
2010-03-01 : Reliable vs Unreliable Currency
Questions very welcome.
1. On 2012-06-12, Vincent said:
2. On 2012-06-14, David Berg said:
3. On 2012-06-15, Vincent said:
4. On 2012-06-15, Tim Ralphs said:
5. On 2012-06-15, Vincent said:
6. On 2012-06-15, Tim Ralphs said:
7. On 2012-06-15, Tim Ralphs said:
8. On 2012-06-15, Vincent said:
9. On 2012-06-16, David Berg said:
10. On 2012-06-16, David Berg said:
11. On 2012-06-17, Vincent said:
12. On 2012-06-17, David Berg said:
13. On 2012-06-18, Vincent said:
14. On 2012-06-19, Tim Ralphs said:
15. On 2012-06-19, Moreno said:
16. On 2012-06-21, Vincent said: