anyway.

2006-03-03 : Viva la Revolution!

I've signed Dogs in the Vineyard up with Indie Press Revolution. This makes me super happy and excited.

Soon I'll add the link to the lumpley games store, as soon as I can organize a spare moment with my ftp client. Meanwhile:

lumpley games at IPR

1. On 2006-03-03, Brennan said:

You aren't the only one who is excited! Dogs is one of my all-time favorite games, and I am just giddy to have it at IPR. Welcome, lumpley!

2. On 2006-03-03, michael s. miller said:

Welcome aboard, Vincent!

3. On 2006-03-03, Ben Lehman said:

I already sent you an e-mail to this effect but, in public, welcome to IPR.

yrs—
—Ben

4. On 2006-03-03, luke said:

My work is done here. I may lay my weary head to rest.

-L

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
BT go "Your work..."*
luke go "Aw, shucks!"*
luke go "BUT WAIT, THERE IS ANOTHER!"*

*click in for more

5. On 2006-03-03, Clinton R. Nixon said:

Effin' A, yeah.

6. On 2006-03-03, Sydney Freedberg said:

Aspiring Indie self-publisher question: What's the difference between the way you did it before and doing it through IPR?

I sort of have a mental image of you previously slaving away endless hours in your dank basement with a big box of books, going through new orders one at a time, putting them in envelopes, and dragging them through the snow to the post office (uphill both ways), vs. you now calling the printer up to say, "send another box to IPR, please!" and then playing with your charming sons while waiting for your bags of gold to arrive, but I suspect it's a little more nuanced than that.

7. On 2006-03-03, ScottM said:

From the wings: why does this make you happy and excited?  I know Brennan does great Indie Promotion—is that the reason, or are there more?

8. On 2006-03-03, Vincent said:

Sydney: it's not any more nuanced than that. It is, to be fair, slightly less hyperbolized than that.

My recommendation is to fulfill your own game for just as long as you can stand the pain and hassle, and then sign on with Brennan. I'm looking forward to not dragging my boxes to the PO in the snow anymore, but I wouldn't give away the experience of having done so.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
MB go "*ahem*"*
VB go "without your help..."*
RE go "Not hyperbole to me"*

*click in for more

9. On 2006-03-03, Vincent said:

Scott: it's not so much Brennan's promotion, although I expect I'm going to kick myself later for having missed out on that for so long. Really - for me - it's all about how much work fulfilling orders is. As demand for Dogs has steadily increased, the customer service I'm providing has steadily declined.

I'm reluctant to not do things myself, that's just how I am. In Dogs' case, I CAN'T do it myself anymore.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
luke go "amen"*

*click in for more

10. On 2006-03-03, Ninja Monkey J said:

What the hell is "freeform" about Dogs in the Vineyard? The fact that it doesn't have a weapons list?

11. On 2006-03-03, Vincent said:

J: this fell off the front page so I'm going to make sure you see it: totally changing cover.

Freeform? Who knows what the original commenter meant. But Dogs' traits and stuff are freeform, and so is the way you bring them into play; I don't reject the word.

12. On 2006-03-03, Jenskot said:

This is awesome! Every time Brennan would ask me to demo a game at a local con, I'd jump up with glee and announce I can demo DitV! Then he would inform me IPR doesn't carry Dogs. And I would slink away into a spiral of depression. But no more! I'm finally cured!!!

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
BT go "I sometimes demoed it anyway."

13. On 2006-03-03, Sydney Freedberg said:

> My recommendation is to fulfill your own game for just as long as you can stand the pain and hassle....

Errr - why?

Is this a "sure it hurts, but you'll cherish the experience forever" kind of thing? Because, if so, I gotta say my wife went for the epidural pretty quickly, and I'd have done the same, so Our Mileage May Vary.

Or is this about "doing it yourself initially builds better relations with, and understanding of, your terribly fragile customer base, allowing you to nurture it and make it grow until it's robust enough that you can safely hand it off to someone else?" Because that logic I can get into.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
luke go "It's a lesson"*
SF go "Lesson in customer service, got it"*
JB go "understand your business"*
Luke go "Actually,"*

*click in for more

14. On 2006-03-03, Vincent said:

Your mileage may, indeed, vary.

15. On 2006-03-03, Ben Lehman said:

The first few orders are absolutely personally fulfilling.  It just feels great to hold your head up high, march down to the post-office, and send off your little babies into the world.

After that, it sucks.

yrs—
—Ben

P.S.  (As a result of my pre-order, I went from "great" to "suck" in the process of filling my first round of orders.  This was dumb.)

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
RE go "Totally"*

*click in for more

16. On 2006-03-03, Matt Wilson said:

I still like mailing them myself, but I specifically set aside the time to do it.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
luke go "The Sequel to this Post is in Production"*
JB go "Post production?"
MSW go "I'll change my mind when..."*
Luke go "Or When"*
MSW go ""*

*click in for more

17. On 2006-03-05, Meguey said:

Thread hijack: Vincent, call me ASAP at Jodi's. Thanks.

RSS feed: new comments to this thread