2005-04-18 : The Structure of the Game
Joshua M. Neff:
In DitV, you have 3 pages devoted to "The Structure of the Game," which you present as "If Dogs in the Vineyard were a board game, this would be the board."
Why don't all RPGs have this in them? Why don't all RPGs explicitly tell everyone playing them game "this is how you play the game, this is what you do"?
So...should all RPGs have this kind of focused "here's how to play the game"? Would some really cool games lose something if they were more focused?
I'll admit my bias up front and say that I don't know any really cool games that aren't as focused as Dogs. I know a bunch of games not as focused that are potentially really cool, and it's too bad they didn't go the whole way.
But that's just me. What do you all think?
1. On 2005-04-18, Vincent said:
2. On 2005-04-18, Judd said:
3. On 2005-04-18, Jeff Rients said:
4. On 2005-04-18, Ben Lehman said:
5. On 2005-04-18, Brendan said:
6. On 2005-04-18, Brendan said:
7. On 2005-04-18, Jeff Rients said:
8. On 2005-04-18, Ninja Hunter J said:
9. On 2005-04-19, Kaare Berg said:
10. On 2005-04-19, Charles said:
11. On 2005-04-19, Jeff Rients said:
12. On 2005-04-19, joshua m. neff said:
13. On 2005-04-19, Vincent said:
14. On 2005-04-20, Tom said:
15. On 2005-04-20, Ben Lehman said:
16. On 2005-04-20, Jeff Rients said:
17. On 2005-04-21, Charles said:
18. On 2005-04-21, Ben Lehman said:
19. On 2005-04-21, Ben Lehman said:
20. On 2005-04-22, Matthijs said:
21. On 2005-04-25, Andy Bitchnipples said: