2009-05-07 : Roleplaying Sinner, Repent!
This is for Marco especially, but if you too want to talk about what things in roleplaying and rpg design are sins, and what things aren’t, this is the thread for you.
1. Oh come on, it’s just roleplaying. There are (a) things that bother me, (b) things I think are a waste of time, and (c) things I don’t enjoy but that’s just me, none of which are really, y’know, sins. Likewise, (d) things I think are worthwhile and (e) things I aspire to, but they aren’t virtuous in any absolute way. It’s kind of fun and funny to use hyped-up language, but do keep perspective.
2. I do consider some business practices to be sins. Overwhelmingly, though, the money in roleplaying is so small and so disposable that eh, whatever.
If you want to see me decry sin for real, ask me about Prop 8 or Massachusetts’ “universal health care” measure.
3. A game’s fictional content by itself doesn’t bother me, ever. Its fictional content PLUS how its players relate to it can bother me. For instance, in Poison’d, like in name-a-horror-movie, the characters do horrific things to one another and commit terrible sins. That doesn’t bother me, it doesn’t matter how horrific. I don’t presume any subject matter out-of-bounds.
More inside, in a little bit.
1. On 2009-05-07, Seth Ben-Ezra said:
2. On 2009-05-07, Marco said:
3. On 2009-05-07, Graham said:
4. On 2009-05-07, Vincent said:
5. On 2009-05-07, Robert Bohl said:
6. On 2009-05-07, Chris said:
7. On 2009-05-07, Brand Robins said:
8. On 2009-05-08, Mark Woodhouse said:
9. On 2009-05-08, Chris said:
10. On 2009-05-08, Callan said:
11. On 2009-05-08, Marco said:
12. On 2009-05-08, Vincent said:
13. On 2009-05-08, Chris said:
14. On 2009-05-08, John Mc said:
15. On 2009-05-08, Brand Robins said:
16. On 2009-05-08, Roger said:
17. On 2009-05-13, Judd said:
18. On 2009-06-04, Z-Dog said: