2013-12-16 : Some Basic Rules (iii)
A GMs' Module: The Quest
- Make the quest harrowing.
- Make the landscape vivid.
- Play to find out whether the PCs will succeed.
- What the rules demand.
- What your prep demands.
- What honesty demands.
Principles for prep:
- The quest is to improve the world, not to preserve it.
- There is an opportunity, not a prophecy.
- The opportunity is evident to the PCs.
- No one but the PCs will undertake this.
- The enemy's reach is long. The enemy's allies are powerful. The enemy's vision is imperfect.
Principles for play:
- Present the world as given.
- Do what's yours, and let the players do what's theirs.
- Indulge the players' strengths.
- Give the world and your characters inbuilt contradictions.
- When you're curious, ask. When asked, answer.
- Go to the dice.
- Show off the enemy's actions and reactions.
More to come. All subject to change.
1. On 2013-12-17, Whirlmeister said:
2. On 2013-12-17, Vincent said:
3. On 2013-12-17, Urs said:
4. On 2013-12-18, plausiblefabulist said:
5. On 2013-12-20, JMendes said: