2008-02-14 : Oh you should too publish
Now, you and I both know that "you should do what makes you happy!" is what the maybe-you-shouldn't-publish-your-game people are saying. They're saying "publishing games for money is a pain, and I'm maybe having second thoughts, and you want my advice? Look into it with self-honesty before you commit." And that's cool. They aren't trying to shut anybody out or whatever the internet is accusing them of. They're just like, "it's not all beer and skittles, man, y'know? It's actually kind of a pain."
So I'm not arguing with them. At all. They're saying a very reasonable thing.
I'm arguing with the frickin' internet, with the stupid misstatement of it that the internet is so happily and busily building. Stupid ass internet.
Publishing a roleplaying game for money is kind of a pain, it is. But personally, I find it so satisfying that I can't imagine not doing it. Maybe for you the pain will outweigh the satisfaction, I dunno, but - you won't know either unless you try it.
If you're thinking about designing a game, give it a shot, why not? It'll be fun, educational, rewarding, and if you don't like it you'll knock it off. Then if you've designed a game, you have to decide what to do with it. Give publishing it a shot too! Why not? It too will be fun, educational, rewarding, and if you don't like it you can always quit. But quit THEN, don't quit now.
My only remotely cautionary advice is, don't spend money you can't walk away from. But if you keep to that (and it's easy, it's really really easy to keep to that), publish! What's the harm? At the very least you'll learn a bunch of stuff, right?
1. On 2008-02-14, Remi said:
2. On 2008-02-14, Ben Lehman said:
3. On 2008-02-14, Seth Ben-Ezra said:
4. On 2008-02-14, Seth Ben-Ezra said:
5. On 2008-02-14, Diamond Sutra said:
6. On 2008-02-14, Seth Ben-Ezra said:
7. On 2008-02-15, Luke said:
8. On 2008-02-15, christopher Kubasik said:
9. On 2008-02-15, Seth Ben-Ezra said:
10. On 2008-02-15, Luke said:
11. On 2008-02-16, NinJ said:
12. On 2008-02-18, Pencil-Monkey said:
13. On 2008-02-18, Pencil-Monkey said:
14. On 2008-02-18, Jonathan Walton said:
15. On 2008-02-18, valamir said:
16. On 2008-02-18, NinJ said:
17. On 2008-02-19, Vincent said:
18. On 2008-02-19, Valamir said:
19. On 2008-02-19, Brand Robins said:
20. On 2008-02-20, NinJ said:
21. On 2008-02-20, Pencil-Monkey said:
22. On 2008-02-20, valamir said: