2011-07-06 : I <3 the OSR...
Michael Pfaff asks, and Bwian seconds:
Can you tell us more about how the OSR has influenced your recent design? (I remember you mentioning something about this in a previous post.)
This is probably the mention you mean: 2009-04-06 : Fistfightville. What I say there is that in old school games, at dice time, the GM is the reporter, perhaps the interpreter, but never the arbiter outright of the game’s fiction. This led me to the whole dice & clouds series, and also to the MC’s agenda, principles and moves in Apocalypse World.
As far as my designs go, I haven’t played any retroclones, and I don’t follow any OSR luminaries closely, so maybe there’s no direct influence. Storming the Wizard’s Tower came straight out of playing Moldvay D&D, though, and Apocalypse World came straight out of Storming the Wizard’s Tower, so what I see is parallel development.
It looks to me like the Old School Renaissance is designing games from thoughtfully- and critically observed actual play, and then publishing them independently. They’re doing what I’m doing!
Ah! here’s another mention, maybe you mean this one:
I find the old-school renaissance thrilling… I think we can learn some spectacular things from it and really broaden our designs, our play, and our social view. If you’re like me, you’re interested in what they’re doing and you’re excited to take part.
To do that, to engage with them at all, to even be able to read what they’re writing, my story gamer friends, you’ll need to set aside your instinct to commoditize, and reexamine “GM” as a powerful solution to the problem of biased judgment.
I still think that, and Apocalypse World is all about that precise thing. Bring the idea of a GM’s agenda, principles and moves to your understanding of how the OSR plays games and, I propose, you’ll see that they’re doing some wicked cool things that we haven’t been doing at all.
1. On 2011-07-07, Bwian said:
2. On 2011-07-07, Ry said:
3. On 2011-07-07, David Berg said:
4. On 2011-07-07, Gregor Hutton said:
5. On 2011-07-11, Bwian said:
6. On 2011-07-11, David Berg said:
7. On 2011-07-12, Jeff Russell said:
8. On 2011-07-12, Vincent said:
9. On 2011-07-12, Vincent said:
10. On 2011-07-12, David Berg said:
11. On 2011-07-13, Bwian said:
12. On 2011-07-13, Vincent said:
13. On 2011-07-13, David Berg said:
14. On 2011-07-13, Vincent said:
15. On 2011-07-13, Paul T. said:
16. On 2011-07-13, David Berg said:
17. On 2011-07-14, Bwian said:
18. On 2011-07-15, Michael Pfaff said:
19. On 2011-07-15, Vincent said:
20. On 2011-07-18, Michael Pfaff said:
21. On 2011-08-15, Clinton said:
22. On 2011-08-16, Vincent said:
23. On 2011-08-19, David Berg said:
24. On 2011-08-20, Vincent said: