2008-09-29 : Creative Tension
It seems to me that within a group's ongoing general agreement about how to play, especially about what to contribute and how to treat one another's contributions, there can be a lot of small creative differences and struggles between individual players. If they're issues in the group - that is, if the individual creative differences threaten the group's ongoing general agreement about how to play - that's one thing. A thing, in fact, that I think we've written as much about as we need. We've pinned it to the board, labeled by family and species, and I'm not really interested in exploring it further here.
But if they aren't issues, they're texture, moments of creative struggle or dissatisfaction that don't threaten the endeavor overall, then that's a different thing.
I believe that that's where we're situated when, in this thread, Callan talks about the speaker thinking something's cool and the listener not, and Ron talks about the group's judging the mutually-shared coolness of its participant's contributions.
But I don't really know where to go from there.
I do know that in Dogs in the Vineyard, the rule is that the GM is to back the judgment of the most discriminating player ... but what on earth does the GM's backing count for? I also know that one of the most important dynamics in both Dogs and In a Wicked Age is the group's development of shared critical standards over the course of the first few sessions. I think it's a reliable process (or else the group will stop playing the game), and I have a couple of things to say about it, but I haven't yet managed to articulate them well enough to post.
Oh but I'd better back up and start here: Callan, Ron, am I understanding you?
1. On 2008-09-29, Ron Edwards said:
2. On 2008-09-29, Valamir said:
3. On 2008-09-29, Vincent said:
4. On 2008-09-29, Brand Robins said:
5. On 2008-09-29, Vincent said:
6. On 2008-09-29, Valamir said:
7. On 2008-09-29, Ron Edwards said:
8. On 2008-09-29, Ron Edwards said:
9. On 2008-09-29, Vincent said:
10. On 2008-09-30, Ron Edwards said:
11. On 2008-09-30, Georgios said:
12. On 2008-09-30, Valamir said:
13. On 2008-09-30, Matt Wilson said:
14. On 2008-09-30, Ben Lehman said:
15. On 2008-09-30, Valamir said:
16. On 2008-10-01, Ben Lehman said:
17. On 2008-10-01, Meserach said:
18. On 2008-10-01, Callan said:
19. On 2008-10-01, Ron Edwards said:
20. On 2008-10-01, Ron Edwards said:
21. On 2008-10-01, GB Steve said:
22. On 2008-10-01, Vincent said:
23. On 2008-10-01, Vincent said:
24. On 2008-10-01, Vincent said:
25. On 2008-10-01, Ben Lehman said:
26. On 2008-10-01, Vincent said:
27. On 2008-10-01, Emily said:
28. On 2008-10-05, Callan said:
29. On 2008-10-07, Vincent said:
30. On 2008-10-08, Callan said:
31. On 2008-10-08, Vincent said:
32. On 2008-10-08, Callan said:
33. On 2008-10-09, Vincent said:
34. On 2008-10-09, Callan said:
35. On 2008-10-22, Callan said:
36. On 2008-10-22, Vincent said:
37. On 2008-10-24, Callan said: