2011-07-12 : Just 3 Insights?
You've often talked about Your Three Insights. Sorry if I've missed this elsewhere, but what would you say the three insights are for AW?
To me, AW seems to be dripping with little insights about the genre, real people, and role-playing as a practice. I'm wondering if there's a single, cornerstone insight in each of these areas that the rest grow from.
YES! Thank you! I've kind of been waiting for this question.
You have the right of it.
You know how I'm always like, if your game needs you to do 6 things, make 6 subsystems? Furthermore, each subsystem, not the game at large, is an expression of 3 insights. You have as many sets of insights as you have subsystems.
"The one who's losing the argument is the one who throws the first punch" is the real-life insight that's the basis for Dogs' resolution system, but it doesn't account for, for instance, Dogs' town creation system. There's a whole different set of insights at work there.
Since Apocalypse World has, what, a dozen little subsystems, maybe more, it expresses a dozen plus little sets of insights. Right you are!
1. On 2011-07-12, Ry said:
2. On 2011-07-13, ndp said:
3. On 2011-07-13, Mathieu Leocmach said:
4. On 2011-07-13, Bwian said:
5. On 2011-07-13, Weeks said:
6. On 2011-07-13, Lior Wehrli said:
7. On 2011-07-13, Vincent said:
8. On 2011-07-13, Vincent said:
9. On 2011-07-13, David Berg said:
10. On 2011-07-13, Alex Abate Biral said:
11. On 2011-07-13, Vincent said:
12. On 2011-07-13, Simon C said:
13. On 2011-07-14, Jeff Z said:
14. On 2011-07-14, Bwian said:
15. On 2011-07-14, Michael Pfaff said:
16. On 2011-07-15, Vincent said:
17. On 2011-07-16, stefoid said:
18. On 2011-07-17, Paul T. said:
19. On 2011-07-18, Ry said:
20. On 2011-07-22, stefoid said:
21. On 2011-07-23, Paul T. said: