anyway.

2006-03-20 : Creating Situation: a practical example

Situation
Dynamic interaction between specific characters and small-scale setting elements; Situations are divided into scenes. A component of Exploration, considered to be the "central node" linking Character and Setting, and which changes according to System. See also Kicker, Bang, and Challenge.

from Ron Edwards' Provisional Glossary

There's the definition, and here's what we've got to work with:

* Locations: The secret central shrine of a temple to forgotten gods. (Magical)
* Characters: A hermit priestess, practicing obscure deprivations. (Wilderness)
* Threats: An order of magician-monks who punish blasphemers. (Magical)
* Threats: Field-vipers, wild dogs, loose bulls, and a variety of spiders. (Countryside)

How do you take these things and make a situation out of them? I'll walk you through it.

Part 1: "Dynamic interaction between specific characters and small-scale setting elements; Situations are divided into scenes." Who are the specific characters? What are the small-scale setting elements?

Well, we have one specific character named as such: a hermit priestess, practicing obscure deprivations. We have some other possibilities, some potential specific characters: one or some of the magician-monks; one or some of the region's forgotten gods. Before we can go about creating a situation, we have to make those potential characters into real characters. Let's see, how about...

Characters:
* The hermit priestess, practicing obscure deprivations.
* The chief lecturist of the magician-monks, with a hard-won, practical, and flexible faith.
* The youngest of the magician-monks, eager to prove himself to his brothers.
* The trickster god of the forgotten pantheon, whose shape is not bound by rule nor convention, stirring in His sleep.

In the game I'm thinking of, I'm the GM, and the players make the characters, not me. We consult Clinton's oracle in public up front, and then I say, "okay, we have a hermit priestess, anybody want to play her? What about these magician-monks, anybody got an idea for a magician-monk? How about a forgotton god, anybody have a forgotten god they want to play?" So each of the specific characters is created by a specific player as a character that that player personally wants to play. Mitch is all like, "ooh, ooh, forgotten god right here, He's like a shapeshifting trickster god!" See it?

What about small-scale setting elements? We have several:
* The secret central shrine of the temple to forgotten gods.
* The hermit priestess' order, whatever it is.
* The magician-monks' order, dedicated to the punishment of blasphemers.
* The forgotton pantheon of gods.
* The countryside inhabited by field vipers et al.

Part 2: "Dynamic interaction between specific characters and small-scale setting elements; Situations are divided into scenes." What's the dynamic interaction between them?

First, "dynamic."

There are two kinds of situations: dynamic and static. A static situation can persist in its current state indefinitely. A dynamic situation cannot possibly.

Whenever we talk about situation, without using a modifying word, assume we're talking about dynamic situation. In the parent post, for instance, I say that when I designed the charts "I didn't know how to read the elements into a situation" but now I do. You should just go ahead and insert "dynamic" into the sentence.

Same with Ron's definition: dynamic. Same with this post. Yes, you could take the list of specific characters and the list of small-scale setting elements and situate them statically, if you wanted to - but I'm not going to help you with that. A static situation is the end, not the beginning.

Second, "interactions between."

If you're a visual thinker, you can imagine making dots for the characters, circles for the setting elements, and using placement and arrows to show the interactions between them. For instance, a circle for the magician-monks' order, with the two dots for the two magician-monks inside the circle, with an arrow pointing from the junior to the senior labeled "wants to prove himself to."

That's how I think of it: dots variously inside and outside of circles, with arrows pointing variously between the dots.

If you're not a visual thinker, well, I have no handy image for you. You can understand, though, that in "the junior magician-monk is a member of the order of magician-monks," "is a member of" describes the interactions between them. In "the junior magician-monk is eager to prove himself to his elders," "is eager to prove himself to" will characterize the interactions between the junior and the senior.

So third, very practically now, Vincent: what's "dynamic interactions between"?

Dynamic interactions are interactions that can't stay the same indefinitely. Most practically? Dynamic interactions have, at their heart, conflicts of interest.

"What are their dynamic interactions?" means: create conflicts of interest between them.

Here, again, I'd have the players do it, each for their own character. Start somewhere, anywhere: "Mitch, what are the forgotten trickster god's interests?" Mitch might squinch up his eyes the way he does, and go, "His interest is to be woken up." Excellent. That's an excellent, slightly spine-shivery interest.

I turn to the next player, who chose the hermit priestess: "what are the hermit priestess' interests?" And that player might say, "her interests are a) to be illicitly relieved from her obscure deprivations, and b) to have crazy blasphemy-sex with the junior magician-monk."

And so on around the table.

Now if you'll notice, I'm cheating. I'm cheating like a cheating dog pig. I'm not just giving the characters interests - "her interest is to avoid interaction with anyone" - I'm giving the characters interests that are already all grabby with conflict. How did I know how to do that? More importantly, how do I get my players to do that, even if they don't know how?

Well, if you'll recall...

a) What mechanical character creation really does is, it puts you at the starting gate of the game's reward system.

b) This game's reward system is: if you go up against people with more dice than you, you get rewarded.

So I don't say "what are your character's interests?" to the players and leave it at that. I say "as a player, you want your character to go up against characters worth more dice than yours. Look around the room and guess who's going to have more dice than you, in what kinds of conflicts. NOW what are your character's interests?"

Mitch looks around and figures that in practically any conflict, a shapeshifting trickster god is going to have more dice than all these mere people, so he has to come up with some way to level the field. "I know!" he says to himself. "I'll tie all my hands behind my back!"

The priestess' player looks over at the junior magician-monk, all zealous in his blasphemy-hating, and her (b) is obvious. Who's her (a) in conflict with, though? Well, that depends. If her obscure deprivations at the forgotten shrine are going to help awaken the sleeping god, her (a) is in conflict with His interests. But consider the magician-priests: it might turn out that their order is friendly to hers, supportive of her discipline; in that case, they may regard her (a) as blasphemy. It might turn out instead that their order considers her discipline blasphemous already; in that case, they'll want to punish her but she'll want them to let her off the hook! Her player will be able to use that interest to drive her into conflict no matter how things turn out.

The junior magician-monk has his interest already: he's eager to please his elders. He "came with" that interest. His player declines to add another, since his eagerness to please his elders is going to inevitably push him into conflict with every single body else.

I jump in with "the order's interests are a) to tear down the blasphemous old shrine, and b) to test the priestess by trial: throw her in a pit of vipers and spiders, or wild dogs, and if they don't kill her, she's not blaspheming." I don't get to play the reward system, but I do get to contribute, so I create conflicts between the order and the trickster god and the priestess.

The chief lecturist's player says, "the chief lecturer's interests are a) to let sleeping dogs lie - he didn't get to be chief lecturist by rocking boats - and b) to have hot blasphemous sex with the priestess." (a) to put him in conflict with his order and (b) to put him in conflict with his order, the priestess, and the junior.

And then at the end Mitch says, "and just in case anybody's wondering-" and we all join in, in unison "-having sex at the shrine will awaken the trickster god!"

Shall I sum up, so far?

* The trickster god of the forgotten pantheon, whose shape is not bound by rule nor convention, stirring in His sleep.
-> at the shrine.
-> wants to wake up.
-> wants someone anyone to screw at the shrine.

-> at the shrine.
-> wants to stop practicing.
-> wants to screw the youngest magician-monk.

-> in the order.
-> wants to prove himself to his elders.

-> coming to the shrine.
-> wants to destroy the shrine.
-> wants to test the priestess for blasphemy.

* The chief lecturist of the magician-monks, with a hard-won, practical, and flexible faith.
-> in the order.
-> wants to leave the priestess and shrine alone.
-> wants to screw the priestess.

Oh hey, notice how the chief lecturist's interests are mutually incompatible? That's cool, huh? From the player's point of view (looking at the game's reward system), the character's interests are valuable for their ability to push the guy into conflict, not for their achievability.

You might also notice that I dropped a couple of the setting elements: the priestess' order, the denizens of the fields. It turned out that nobody situated anybody with regard to them, so they're literally not part of the situation. That's fine. It should be easy to imagine how they might have been - if the senior magician-monk's player had said "my character's interests are to finally get my revenge on the priestess' order," for instance, or if I'd said "the priestess' order's interests are to keep the forgotten pantheon lulled to sleep," for random instance.

Part 3: "Dynamic interaction between specific characters and small-scale setting elements; Situations are divided into scenes."

Ron says that situations are made up of scenes. I'd have it, instead, that situations resolve over the course of one or more scenes. We mean the same thing, so take your pick. It's within scenes that the characters' interests become interactions.

"That night, the priestess steals into the magician-monks' camp, wakes the junior magician-monk but hisses to keep him quiet, and leads him out to the sheltered place in the ruined shrine." That opens our scene: the priestess, the junior magician-monk, at night, in the shrine. "She throws herself at his feet, hugging and kissing them. 'Only you can save me from my sin!' she cries. 'Only you, oh please!' At first he's like, 'of course I'll save you -' but then he starts to realize." And there's their conflicting interests becoming a dynamic interaction between them.

Scenes embody the situation; over the course of its scenes, the situation resolves. "The situation resolves" just means that the conflicts of interest between the characters and setting elements play out, perhaps sparking new conflicts of interest which then also play out, and in the end everybody lands together in a new, changed, static arrangement. "Dynamic" means conflicts of interest; "static" means that no conflicts of interest remain.

(Hm. Everybody gets that it only counts as an interest if the character's capable of acting toward it, right? So in a static situation, people might all have abstract incompatible ideals, right, but no way to act on them: "I hate the priestess and the junior magician-monk with all my hate hate hate, and in my ideal world they'd die die die, but here I am stuck in this stone box buried under this tree forever, curse the fate!" Right? Good.)

If you like, you can think of the conflicts of interest as questions. Resolving the situation means answering the questions:

-> does He get to wake up?
-> does someone anyone screw at the shrine?

-> does she get to stop practicing?
-> does she get to screw the youngest magician-monk? If so, what does his order do about it?

-> does he prove himself to his elders? If so, how? If not, how?

-> do they destroy the shrine?
-> do they get to test the priestess for blasphemy? Is so, does she pass or fail? If the latter, do they get to punish her?

-> does he get to leave the priestess and shrine alone?
-> does he get to screw the priestess? If so, what does his order do about it?

Once we've played through to the answers of all of those questions, and any attendant questions we've raised (like the "if so" questions I included, and there may be many more), the situation's resolved.

In the game I'm imagining, this is how tightly-knit the situations are, with questions this interwoven and immediate. Consequently, playing a situation out takes only an hour or a couple of hours - one or two, sometimes even three, situations per session of play. Short-short stories, fast furious and all intermixed.

The end. Told you it'd be long.

1. On 2006-03-20, anon. said:

This is beautiful...

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
SDL go "Looks like you got it working!"

2. On 2006-03-20, Roger said:

Indeed, this is very good.

A note on "dynamic situation":  Another way to word this, which I happen to like, is untenable situation.

Do you have any comment on how to handle dynamic interests?  For example, if the Order decides in the middle of play that they'd really be happier if the shrine doesn't fall?

Many of the games I've seen handle this haphazardly at best.

3. On 2006-03-20, Vincent said:

Roger: "Do you have any comment on how to handle dynamic interests? For example, if the Order decides in the middle of play that they'd really be happier if the shrine doesn't fall?

Well, in this particular game, the interests themselves don't have any mechanical significance - their purpose is to drive the characters into conflict. If they change in the middle, no biggie, they change. If they change in such a way that they still drive the characters into conflict, albeit different conflicts, that's cool. If they change in such a way that they're lining up with others' interests - your example, or if the junior magician-monk decides that he too really wants to have sex with the priestess - that's cool too, that's the situation resolving.

The Riddle of Steel is a game that handles changing interests non-haphazardly.

4. On 2006-03-20, John Harper said:

TSOY counts too. Key buyoffs are an elegant way of handling changing interests with a mechanic.

5. On 2006-03-21, Troy_Costisick said:

Heya,

This makes alot of sense to me, Vincent.  I think I see several ways in which I can use this.  Thanks.

Peace,

-Troy

6. On 2006-03-21, ethan_greer said:

Super. Thanks for the write-up.

Question: How would you go about applying these principles to a long-term game? Like, a situation that spans several sessions of play? Would it simply be a matter of making a more complex situation, or are there different principles at work in a long-term game?

7. On 2006-03-21, Vincent said:

Ethan: "How would you go about applying these principles to a long-term game? Like, a situation that spans several sessions of play? Would it simply be a matter of making a more complex situation, or are there different principles at work in a long-term game?"

Great question.

First: the size, the scale, of the characters' interests.

In my example above the characters all have wicked short-term interests: screw the guy, screw the girl, toss the girl into a hole. An hour from now all those questions will be answered.

But consider that each of those characters has interests simultaneously of at least three sizes: the immediate, the intermediate, the ultimate. The trickster god's immediately interested in waking up, but what are His longer-term interests? Accumulating a body of worshippers? Restoring the world to its pre-civilization chaos? Throwing down the current pantheon? Becoming incorporated into the current pantheon? Embodying Himself as a mortal? Could be any!

So now we're creating conflicts of interest that span months, years, decades, lifetimes, right? But that by itself isn't going to make the game longer, so...

Second: the size of the character's ability to act.

What makes the game longer is the ratio of action to interest. How much doing does it take to resolve the conflicts?

GM: okay, Mitch, what do you do next?
Mitch: I need a body of followers, so I attract a body of followers.
GM: roll for it!

vs.

GM: okay, Mitch, what do you do next?
Mitch: I need a body of followers, so I start by finding an old woman down on her luck.
GM: roll for it!

1. Small-scale actions + short-term interests = short play.
2. Large-scale actions + long-term interests = short play.
3. Small-scale actions + long-term interests = long play.

Make sense?

Now this game I'm envisioning? You can't tell it from just the post above, you have to read this comment too from the parent thread, and extrapolate, but this game I'm envisioning, it's a long playing game. How?

Because as these wham-bam situations go by, a set of recurring characters builds. Those recurring characters do have long-term interests, which develop over the course of the early game, and which have their expression right here:

So now we start the next story. We look at the first name under "we owe": the priestess. She's automatically in it! You choose to represent her thus: "A novice priestess, untried but good-hearted." (And we're like, dude, this story is totally happening in the past! Rock!) Plus you get to choose another element to be automatically in, and let's say that you choose "Events: The flight of a prince and his forbidden lover into hiding. (Wilderness)"

You get to contribute elements to your character's short-term situations that are relevant to her increasingly long-term story.

8. On 2006-03-21, Sydney Freedberg said:

One thing I particularly like about this is that there's a quantified, mechanical link between the short-term conflict and the long-term story: If I pick easy fights, I'll probably gain control over the current scene but lose control over the next entire situation/adventure/chapter; if I pick hard fights, I'll probably lose control over the current scene but gain control over the next whole situation. And that dilemma is lovely, but more important to me is the very fact that "small, here, now" is linked to "big, there, later." Chapter links to story, tactical to strategic.

Here's my rant: In most RPGs, this link is pretty weak—even Indie RPGs.

In D&D, as the ur-example, "I kill this baby kobold, right here, right now" is linked by the XP/levelling up system to "eventually, I become uber strong and have a castle! Whoot!" Which actually works great as long as you're all about the killing of things. But often people try "do I save the kingdom from the Dark Evil of Badness?" And there's no system to link "I hit the baby kobold with my shoe again!" to "I save the kingdom!"—except GM fiat, aka "poor Herbie has to wing it again because the written system doesn't help."

In Prime Time Adventures, to take a really great Indie game that also fails to do this, I know my character's Issue, I know when that Issue is going to be secondary to other peoples' (low screen presence) and when it's going to be the center of attention (my spotlight episode). And I know to frame every single conflict in terms of that issue. I can even earn Fan Mail now that I can spend to help me later.
But! Whether and how I lose or win the current conflict has no mechanical effect on my chances to lose or win the next conflict, or to choose what the next conflict will be about. How do I determine what winning or losing this conflict, right now, means for the resolution of the whole episode, let alone the whole season? I wing it. The good news is that it's no longer just Poor Herbie the GM, it's the whole group working together in that amazing PTA-induced group brainstorming vibe, but if that vibe breaks down... you're on your own, because the written system doesn't help you.

I'm speaking from recent experience, having had exactly this kind of breakdown at the beginning of the last episode of an otherwise rockingly cool PTA season. We're contemplating The Mountain Witch next, and I'm looking forward, but I don't think Witch has a robust mechanical link either: There's this wonderfully crunchy Trust system where I can see, by glancing at the piles of chips, who trusts whom how much and how that's changing—and then there's some minimally structured Drama of "here's your Dark Fate, introduce it and keep the pressure on, you're ready for your final confrontation when, y'know, you know you're ready."

By contrast, Capes links now-to-then very well: Win or lose, you get Inspirations out of a hotly contested conflict that give you big bonuses to win later conflicts. But Capes doesn't give you much help on small-to-big (chapter-to-story, tactical-to-strategic). That's in part because Capes emphatically does not care about scale and treats "I make it to dinner on time with my love interest" exactly the same way as "I save the universe," which is actually a lovely thing, but there's no way for me as a player to choose some overarching goal across multiple conflicts and make it stick. (Tony did try to nest conflicts and scenes inside larger "Issues" in early versions of the game but never made it work to his satisfaction).

By contrast, My Life with Master makes this link very, very tight: Everything I do potentially affects the Love, Self-Loathing, and Weariness scores that determine my ultimate fate. Neither the GM nor the group as a whole has to wing it, because how small things, here and now, affect the ultimate big thing is absolutely explicit. No other game I've played does that, although I know With Great Power...'s Story Arc system is all about this kind of linkage.

Then again, Master and Power are each designed to produce one, specific kind of story ("minions are brutalized, minions find love, minions overthrow master and are transformed as people" and "heroes are smacked around by bad guys, heroes rebound, heroes defeat bad guys—or, well, not—and are transformed as people either way"). But I'm not sure that's a necessary limit of systems with tight tactical-strategic linkage, just a limit of the state of our art.

Note that traditional wargames actually do this pretty well: This engagement between these units on this part of the map, on this turn, affects the whole game—and a moderately skilled player can see how, just by looking at the board. I'd love to have this kind of clarity about how "Story Now" emerges in an open-ended narrativist RPG. I don't think anyone's done it, yet, not even Vincent, and even this idea is not-quite-there yet.

This, of course, assumes anyone but me cares...

direct link
marginalia

This reminds...
SF of that PTA breakdown in Actual Play

This makes...
LP go "Yes, PTA"*

*click in for more

9. On 2006-03-21, Vincent said:

Sydney, I like your remarks at the end of that thread. But then, I would, huh?

10. On 2006-03-21, Sydney Freedberg said:

You would, you macho-Nar-pushy-yanger, you.

For the mystified: Vincent's (presumably) referring to my conclusion that "this experience suggests that 'Nobody Gets Hurt' is a fine philosophy but impossible to implement in Actual Play, precisely because two people of good will (i.e. no 'dickery' going on) can honestly disagree on what they want to happen and, without realizing it until it's too late, come to want incompatible things....real greatness depends on a willingness to get hurt—and, even, to inflict hurt."

I'd love to see what Meguey thinks, seeing as she discovered the distinction between "nobody gets hurt" and "I will not abandon you"—and seeing as she also wrote a whole essay on how an apparently quibbling creative difference came near to a game-breaking moment.

Personally, I think my desire for "strategic" mechanics linking here-now to everything-eventually is about wanting the possibility of being hurt: I don't want to have a subjective decision as a circuit-breaker between "I do this thing here and now" and "as a consequence, I lose what I love most in the big picture." It's also about wanting the risk of hurt to be systematized and depersonalized: If the here-now linkage to everything-eventually is subjective (Drama, structured or un-), then the person making that subjective decision—the GM in a traditional game, the whole group in Prime Time Adventures, my character's "underwriter" in the notional Ars Magica knockoff, whoever—is really on the spot and likely to flinch away from the "unsafe" outcome, deciding not to hurt me for pure social-decency reasons even if I'd honestly prefer it.

If I wanted to control the potential outcomes, then I'd go write a novel by myself. If I'm playing a game with other human beings, the greatness comes when I give up control and let them surprise me, and themselves.

direct link
marginalia

This reminds...
SF of Meg's original essay
SF of Meg on fighting over maps
SF of my PTA comments in context

This makes...
SF go "Ugly link..."*
VB go "done."

*click in for more

11. On 2006-03-21, Vincent said:

This is hardcore stuff you're saying, Sydney! I'm going to take it to its own post.

James, Marhault, did this post answer your questions?

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
SF go "I gotta stop threadjacking you..."*
MSW go "YES YES"*
Marhau go "More or less"*
VB go "Sydney: threadjacking?"*

*click in for more

12. On 2006-03-21, Nobody Special said:

Firstly, thank you for this post, Vincent. Too often people in this field make bald statements without explanation which make no sense to those of us groping around the fringes of design. This post makes things very clear. Thank you.

Secondly, it feels like a dynamic situation in which character interests either contain "if so" statements or are open to their development would be impossible to resolve to a static situation without imposing artificial limits, setting victory conditions, limiting time, defining an end state, etc. Is this a misread? In other words, now that I understand how to create situation, how do I stop?

13. On 2006-03-22, Vincent said:

Hey NS. I'm glad you're still around.

Secondly, it feels like a dynamic situation in which character interests either contain "if so" statements or are open to their development would be impossible to resolve to a static situation without imposing artificial limits, setting victory conditions, limiting time, defining an end state, etc. Is this a misread? In other words, now that I understand how to create situation, how do I stop?

Here's the handwavey magical partial answer: people crave static situations. We do as the players of the game, and our characters will as made-up people too. There's this sense of relief and satisfaction we feel when a dynamic situation resolves.

So dynamic situations resolve into static situations because, although we could introduce a new conflict of interest for every one that resolves, we don't want to.

Here's the reassuringly mathematical partial answer: figure that for every conflict of interest that resolves, 50% of the time it kicks off an "if so" followup conflict. We start with 4 conflicts; as we resolve them, on average we get 2 new conflicts, so now we have 2; as we resolve those, on average we get 1 new conflict, so now we have 1, which maybe resolves into a new conflict but eventually won't.

So dynamic situations resolve into static situations because the math is on our side.

But here's the real answer: escalation. When the resolution of one conflict of interest sparks a new conflict of interest, invariably there's more at stake than there was originally. Check it:

The order of magician-monks wants to test the priestess; she wants them to let her off the hook of her practice. What's at stake is the order's short-term power over the priestess' fate, like. We resolve that in the order's favor: they pitch her into a hole with some poisonous critters. Now the new conflict of interest is, the poisonous critters want to kill and eat the priestess; she wants them to wither before her righteousness or something. What's at stake is more serious than whether the order decides what happens to her or she does - it's her life and well-being.

So when the resolution of one conflict of interest sparks a new conflict of interest, what happens is that the situation develops upward, until nothing more can possibly be at stake. "Possibly" depends on the genre etc.: in Middle Earth, the subjugation of the whole Earth under evil can possibly be at stake; in Sideways, even people's lives can't be, only their relationships.

Anyway once that happens, once as much is at stake as can be, the final resolution has to be final. There's simply nowhere else to go - losing that conflict, a character can't any longer have the capacity to act on her interests. If she does, it wasn't the final conflict after all, there's still more she can stake.

Followup questions please! I don't figure I've fully covered it.

Oh and you should - everybody should - check out Ron Edwards' game Trollbabe. It's all about the scales of conflicts and stakes.

14. On 2006-03-22, Michael S. Miller said:

Hi, Vincent. Great Stuff! (So great that I "borrowed" a great deal of the earlier post for Play Right!, my Game Chef entry.)

But what I'm really curious about is the relationship between the "conflicts of interest" you talk about as being the things that make the situation unstable, and the "decisions across a moral line" bit that always winds up in the definition of thematic play (can't find a reference at the moment). Are they the same thing? If not, how would you say that they're different?

15. On 2006-03-22, Sydney Freedberg said:

[bouncing up and down]Oh! Question! Question![/bouncing]

"When the resolution of one conflict of interest sparks a new conflict of interest, invariably there's more at stake than there was originally."

What about "escalating inwards"? I'm thinking of the second half of the Wizard of Earthsea books, or the standard superhero trope, where the heroes save the city/kingdom/world and then have to deal with their relationships and souls—which is arguably "more at stake," from a certain perspective.

16. On 2006-03-22, Vincent said:

Escalating inwards: absolutely totally 100%.

In fact that sets me up perfectly for my answer to Michael: the moral line depends on how things escalate, more than on the conflicts of interest themselves.

Sauron at Mt. Doom, for instance, doesn't represent a credible moral choice, even though he's one side of the conflict of interest. Instead, we look at what the protagonists are willing to do, and what they're not willing to do, to serve the interests of their side.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
LP go "Yes. Jackson's movies"*

*click in for more

17. On 2006-03-22, Nobody Special said:

Thank you for the followup, Vincent.

It leads to one more question. The mathematical limit and the "just don't want to" limit are clear, though the latter might conflict with the feeling when you get to the end of a book and wish it would keep going forever, but escalating stakes are slippery.

No one's initial interest was "survive a snake pit", and survival is a very high stakes conflict. What stops the characters interests reverting to their previous lower stakes state once survival is successfully resolved, other than possibly artificially stating that the survival situation creates a new superceding conflict of interests? Also, how does this apply when a short term "survive a snakepit" interest overlaps a very long term "I need a body of followers" interest? Perhaps I am looking for a mechanical solution when it really comes down to players choosing what they like best? I think I am asking, what happens to lower stakes interests when a higher stakes interest arises and is resolved? Do games which end after the highest possible stakes preclude traditional semi-openended campaign play? Is a campaign merely a series of situations arising and resolving with new (but possibly related) interests shaping the next situation?

One last thing; when you say conflicts of interest arising from conflicts of interest have higher stakes, do you mean they do or they should from the standpoint of good design?

That is far more than the one more question I thought remained. All my conflicts of understanding resolve into higher stakes conflicts of understanding.

18. On 2006-03-22, John Laviolette said:

What prevents characters reverting to previous lower stakes isthat those stakes are resolved. The magician-monks have already woncontrol over the priestess's fate; that's how they were able to toss her in the pit.

What you may be thinking of is a story where, after one side has won their conflict and forced the other side to struggle for survival, the other side wins this second conflict and then pursues another conflict with the original opponent. The priestess escapes the pit and presents herself to the magician-monks, demanding that they acknowledge her righteousness. Or, she hunts down the order to extract vengeance.

What's happening here? One of these things:

1) After the second conflict, which is between the priestess and the critters that would kill her, she escalates the stakes to the next level, say as before. There's no higher level on the personal level, so the scale of the stakes jumps to the small group level: the magical monastic order. The stakes here either could be to control/alter the order (make them acknowledge the priestess's righteousness) or could be about the survival of the order (she seeks vengeance.)

2) If the priestess seeks vengeance against only a few individuals in the order, the stakes are still at the personal level, but now the magiciam-monks' (personal) survival is at stake. Will she kill them before they kill her?

3) If the magician-monks continue to test the priestess, maybe the scene with the pit was just that: a scene, part of a bigger conflict, and we have just misidentified the first conflict. In other words, the scale of the first conflict wasn't personal (what happens to the priestess) but small group (what happens to the order of magician-monks.)

19. On 2006-03-23, Michael S. Miller said:

the moral line depends on how things escalate, more than on the conflicts of interest themselves.

So you're saying that the conflicts of interests provide the opportunity for a moral decision to be made, right? Because the situation is unstable, it has to become stable in some form. The form that stability takes is the moral statement of the fiction, and by pushing the situation into that particular form of stability (e.g., "We shoot the Steward and the town'll be fine) the players have made a moral choice. A moral is simply a directive of if X situation happens, you should (or shouldn't) do Y action to achieve (or avoid) outcome Z, right?

Would you say that a thematic game must give the players the opportunity to make that moral choice? (I think I would.)

20. On 2006-03-23, Vincent said:

Michael: right on.

"Would you say that a thematic game must give the players the opportunity to make that moral choice? (I think I would.)"

Yes. Well, a thematic+participation game (that is, a narrativist game) must, and that's the kind of game I'm interested in. (I suppose a game where the GM makes the moral choices up-front would still be thematic, but that's only half of what I care about.)

Significantly, though: I feel very strongly that a thematic+participation game need not give every individual player the opportunity to make the moral choice for him- or herself. Only the opportunity to participate meaningfully.

21. On 2006-03-23, Vincent said:

NS: "No one's initial interest was "survive a snake pit", and survival is a very high stakes conflict. What stops the characters interests reverting to their previous lower stakes state once survival is successfully resolved, other than possibly artificially stating that the survival situation creates a new superceding conflict of interests?

So here we have the priestess. Her interests are a) to stop practicing her obscure deprivations, and b) to have wild blasphemy-sex with the junior magician-monk.

Before she can accomplish either of those things, the magician-monks grab her - she tries to reason with them but they're resolute - and pitch her into a hole. Oh no, will she survive the snakes?

She does! She climbs out of the hole unscathed and shoots the magician-monks a withering look. Until she makes eye contact with the junior magician-monk, and her look ... changes.

That's what you're asking about, NS? Because as you can see, it works just fine. They've had their chance to win what they wanted, now it's her turn - and furthermore, now her turn is even more awesome. Resolving "do they get to test her?" and "does she survive?" contributes all kinds of oomph to "does she screw the guy?" when we return to it.

It works in the other order, too. Rewind to the opening situation, and:

The priestess steals the junior magician-monk away in the night and, man, he never even imagined. But the next morning, the couple wake to find themselves surrounded by most of the order. The magician-monks look very, very serious. The chief lecturist and one other are digging the pit nearby and rounding up the venomous spiders.

Will they get to test her? It's waaaay more oomphy than it used to be.

See how that works?

22. On 2006-03-24, Nobody Special said:

I think I see. High stakes conflicts, once resolved, raise the stakes of all other interests. The character may return to their original interests after a high-or-highest stakes conflict, but in a way they can never return to prior interests since those interests have been changed by the experience and will be modified by the likewise-changed interests of other characters. Frodo ultimately goes home, his earliest primary interest, but home is no longer home because conflict has changed him, and because Saruman, changed by conflict, has taken a new interest in hobbits.

Is this the same as what you said?

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
NS go "Forgot Escalation"*

*click in for more

23. On 2006-03-25, Marhault said:

The basic process makes perfect sense to me.
Step One - Identify characters and setting elements
Step Two - Create the conflicts of interest
Step Three - Create scenes that highlight the conflicts, and allow the situation to resolve.

Step two is the part I am having a little bit of trouble with.  What would you do to create a dynamic situation for a game with a different reward system?  For instance, let's say I'm using the Cheap & Cheesy Adventure Generator for inspiration for a Burning Wheel game.  The players have a set of characters all burnt up, and have decided they're heading for a particular location, and I've decided that what they find there will be this Situation that comes from these elements.  Obviously, I'm going to tie the PCs BITs into the Situation as I imagine it (that's where the games reward system comes in), but that by itself probably won't produce a dynamic situation.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is "How do you produce a dynamic situation where the PCs aren't already an integral part of it?"

24. On 2006-03-27, Vincent said:

NS: I don't understand your statement, "So when the resolution of one conflict of interest sparks a new conflict of interest, what happens is that the situation develops upward, until nothing more can possibly be at stake. [O]nce that happens, once as much is at stake as can be, the final resolution has to be final. There's simply nowhere else to go." The priestess' life is at stake but, when resolved, play continues.

Aha! I see what you're asking.

Each conflict of interest escalates and resolves independently. The priestess has escalated to "I'll stake my life" in the "will the magician-monks test her? Will she pass their test?" conflict, but she hasn't yet shown us how far she's willing to go to sleep with the junior monk. That conflict gets to escalate to crisis and resolution too, either in parallel or afterward or whenever.

Notice also that the resolution of one escalating series of conflicts of interest can change the characters' interests, too, if that's what happens to happen. Maybe after her ordeal in the snake pit the priestess hates all magician-monks and doesn't want to sleep with the junior one at all. That's fine.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
NS go "Very clear now; thank you very much."

25. On 2006-03-27, Vincent said:

Marhault (Jamey): How do you produce a dynamic situation where the PCs aren't already an integral part of it?

How do you make spinach quiche where you leave the spinach in a bag in the fridge?

Here's how Dogs in the Vineyard works. Dogs in the Vineyard's town creation makes a bunch of npcs who already have conflicts of interest wrt the Dogs in the abstract, it doesn't matter who the Dogs actually are. Every named npc comes pre-created with a conflict either a) directly with the Dogs-as-authority-figures, or else b) with another named npc, and presuming with all her heart that the Dogs-as-authority-figures will take her side, so that if the Dogs don't take her side that becomes a conflict between them.

That works okay to make one fun session, and that's what I'd recommend for your Burning Wheel + C&C charts game. Give the priestess, the monks, the antique god interests that either conflict with the PCs' or else depend on the PCs' total support.

But that's only part of how Dogs works, and it won't sustain your Burning Wheel game either.

The real situation that Dogs in the Vineyard cares about is the one between each of the PCs and each other and the Faith. (Joshua BishopRoby, listen up!) You know how the real situation that The Mountain Witch cares about is the one between the PCs with their trust and their dark fates, and the GM throws grief at them to simply just apply pressure to that situation? Dogs is the same. It's better to understand a Dogs town with its sin and judgement as an encounter along the way, an attack by Oni or a freezing cold night, than as the thing that really matters.

In other words, Jamey: there is a situation the PCs in your Burning Wheel game are an integral part of, or there will come to be one over the first few sessions: the situation between them. In the Burning Wheel as in Dogs, it's the players' responsibility to create it. As long as the characters have interests, the players will create a good one, and the Burning Wheel does a great job at creating characters with interests.

My advice to you as GM is to notice what the characters' individual interests are, where they overlap and where they conflict, and not make a big deal out of it. Just notice, apply pressure via priestesses and sinners and oni, not targeted pressure mostly but just grief, and watch what happens.

26. On 2006-03-28, Marhault said:

Vincent:  "How do you make spinach quiche where you leave the spinach in a bag in the fridge?"

Yeah, I thought you might say something like that.  I was really thinking more along the lines of (and please forgive me, I know jack-all about quiche.) "what do you do to prepare spinach quiche before you actually add the spinach?"  It works either way, though, I suppose.

So, if Dogs (really any RPG) is the story of PCs over the course of the whole game, then each session/adventure is like an encounter on that road, right?  So why undirected pressure?  Wouldn't it be more effective to really apply stress directly to the player's flags?  Like the Dogs advice on GMing between towns, y'know?

27. On 2006-03-28, Vincent said:

Jamey (Marhault): "So, if Dogs (really any RPG) is the story of PCs over the course of the whole game, then each session/adventure is like an encounter on that road, right? So why undirected pressure? Wouldn't it be more effective to really apply stress directly to the player's flags? Like the Dogs advice on GMing between towns, y'know?"

To the players' flags? No way. We players are generally stupid about what really matters to us. I'd never take our word for it, especially if we're creating those flags during character creation. Talk about a shot in the dark.

Here's what instead:

If you're trying to create a bloodbath, apply pressure to where the characters' interests are incompatible. Obviously, this is against the rules in Dogs; the GM should not go into the game saying "how can I turn the PCs against one another?" In some games, this is very much by the rules - The Mountain Witch, notably, but some incarnations of The Riddle of Steel too.

If you don't have any particular resolution in mind, apply pressure wherever and let the players find their own characters' faultlines.

I think you'll find that the characters' faultlines line up with their players' declared flags only about as often as you'd expect by chance alone.

28. On 2006-03-28, Vincent said:

Oh, I should maybe say about the GMing between towns rule in Dogs - that's the GM's job wrt the players, it's not an identification of what's important in the game. The GM's saying "even now? even now?" is as much to keep the GM from manipulating outcomes as it is to accomplish anything positive.

The real situation in Dogs is the players' to create, escalate, and resolve. The GM gets to watch and be amazed.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
BL go "So wait..."*
VB go "incidental to the situation between the PCs."*
BL go "Ah, yeah"*

*click in for more

29. On 2006-03-28, Sydney Freedberg said:

"We players are generally stupid about what really matters to us. I'd never take our word for it, especially if we're creating those flags during character creation."

Yes! "Flags" are a great idea, but the flags the players run up before they start playing are only indicating what they expect they'll care about (possibly further distorted by peer pressure and/or limited prior experience of things to care about). The best test is what happens during play: The flags that really matter are the ones the players plant firmly in the soil of the emerging fiction and shout "I claim this land for Spain!" (Or for my character, or whatever). Hence the beauty of what I believe Vincent calls "positioning mechanisms."

(And apocalypse girl is my attempt to create a game almost entirely out of positioning mechanisms....)

30. On 2006-03-28, Vincent said:

(When it comes to "positioning mechanisms," I am guilty of wicked bad terminology drift. Turns out Ron meant something entirely different than I thought he did.)

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
SF go "What'd Ron mean?"*
VB go "Ron meant..."*
SF go "Call it 'flagging'? 'Investing'?"*

*click in for more

31. On 2006-03-28, Emily said:

Flags can make the space for what emerges, though. I find this happens in PtA & BtI.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
BL go "Good flagging mechanics"*

*click in for more

32. On 2006-03-31, Marhault said:

Okay, I'm with you.  One more question for anybody still reading this.

What makes the game longer is the ratio of action to interest. How much doing does it take to resolve the conflicts?
and
1. Small-scale actions + short-term interests = short play.
2. Large-scale actions + long-term interests = short play.
3. Small-scale actions + long-term interests = long play.

What games (if any) have addressed this explicitly?  Trollbabe touches on it somewhat, at least as far as the scale of actions are concerned.  It's something I'd really like to explore further.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
BL go "Polaris scales your actions to your interests"*

*click in for more

33. On 2006-03-31, Vincent said:

Explicitly address it I don't know, but implicitly, practically any game you could name. To see it, compare the game's resolution rules with its reward rules. How much resolution per reward cycle? From there you can easily figure out how much action it takes to resolve a character's interests.

You know how irritated some people were by Battlestar Galactica's season finale? It wasn't just a big jump in time. It was more importantly an abrupt departure from how much action the show had, up until then, allowed per conflict of interest.

direct link
marginalia

This makes...
JCL go "you mean..."*
VB go "I liked the season finale A LOT."*
NinJ go "Oh, man, great episode."*

*click in for more

RSS feed: new comments to this thread