2010-04-26 : The MC, a GM
You know how Dogs in the Vineyard presents a way to GM that I didn't invent, I just explained it and provided some good tools for it? Lots of people, encountering the game, said "but this is just how you GM any game." Some of these people respect Dogs for the tools it provides, but others don't have any use for it. "Who needs this?" they say. "Isn't this already common knowledge?"
Same thing with Apocalypse World. "MCing" is a way to GM that I didn't invent, I'm just explaining it and providing some good tools for it. I expect lots of people, encountering the game, to say "but this is just how you GM any game." I hope to win them over with the quality of the tools it provides—and just wait until you see them, they are some high-quality tools—but still some people won't be impressed. That's fine too. They don't need it.
As ways to GM go, it's probably about as old as roleplaying itself, and quite widespread. It's a strong and coherent body of solutions to the problems that roleplaying poses, so lots of groups have already happened upon it. Further, lots and LOTS of groups have guessed at its existence and have been groping toward it without ever quite fixing upon it, sometimes nailing it and getting great play, sometimes missing it and getting eh. I especially hope to reach these latter.
Anyway, if you wonder why John Harper, for instance, grasps Apocalypse World so immediately and so fully, it's not because he can read my mind. It's because he recognizes the game from his own experience.
DUH! YOU FIGURE?
A short play by me.
One month ago, 4:45am. Vincent, John, Twyla and Carl have finished the Old Rasputin. They're passing around the Double Bastard.
John: Well maybe you should say it, if you want people to know it.
Vincent: I did!
John: Really? Where?
Vincent: Somewhere obscure, a long time ago. Plus I wasn't talking about Apocalypse World then.
Vincent: Maybe I should say it again?
1. On 2010-04-27, Mule said:
2. On 2010-04-27, Chris said:
3. On 2010-04-27, Ry said:
4. On 2010-04-27, Chris Chinn said:
5. On 2010-04-27, Vincent said:
6. On 2010-04-27, Jesse Burneko said:
7. On 2010-04-28, Joel said:
8. On 2010-04-29, tonydowler said:
9. On 2010-04-30, Josh W said:
10. On 2010-04-30, Chris said:
11. On 2010-04-30, Vincent said:
12. On 2010-05-03, Roger said:
13. On 2010-05-03, Chris Chinn said:
14. On 2010-05-04, Vincent said:
15. On 2010-05-04, Chris Chinn said:
16. On 2010-05-04, Christian Griffen said:
17. On 2010-05-05, Chris said:
18. On 2010-05-07, Jaywalt said:
19. On 2010-05-17, Vincent said:
20. On 2010-06-14, Jamie Fristrom said: