2012-12-27 : Positioning: the Okay Cycle
I believe that we're coming up on the end of this positioning series, yeah?
Positioning series table of contents: Where were we...?
There's an important effectiveness->positioning currency cycle I want to point out, it's common in roleplaying (but probably not universal). Let's call it the "okay" cycle:
"I get in my car."
"I drive out to North Adams."
"I go to my grandmother's house."
"I'm like, hi grandma, and whatever, and after the pleasantries I go up to the attic."
"Okay. Your grandma makes you tea, you eat a cookie?"
"Sure, no hurry. Afterward I go up to the attic."
"I find my box of high school memorabilia."
"Okay. It's at your grandma's, not your parents'?"
"It is, yeah. I find it?"
"I get out my yearbook, my girlfriend's photos, my 11th grade poetry, yeah?"
"I perform the Ritual of Lost Passage."
"WHAT! AWESOME! WHOA! ROLL FOR IT! AWESOME!"
Each "okay" marks an effective move that changes the player's positioning, see how that works?
Here's kind of a bold claim, if you're an old Forge-head like me: this cycle can functionally serve as a reward cycle, absent any reward cycle in the game's design.
(If you're not an old Forge-head, that's the opposite of a bold claim. It's an eye-blinkingly self-evident piece of obviousness, and you can't believe we old Forge-heads had to come this far before one of us realized it.)
1. On 2012-12-27, Vincent said:
2. On 2012-12-27, Evan said:
ET go "And my hyphen was swallowed again by the evil question mark. Curses!"
VB go "Got it."
3. On 2012-12-27, Vincent said:
4. On 2012-12-27, Ben Lehman said:
5. On 2012-12-27, Evan said:
6. On 2012-12-27, Jesse Burneko said:
7. On 2012-12-28, David Berg said:
8. On 2012-12-28, Jim D. said:
9. On 2012-12-28, Evan said:
10. On 2012-12-28, Vincent said:
11. On 2012-12-28, Vincent said:
12. On 2012-12-28, Jim D. said:
13. On 2012-12-28, David Berg said:
14. On 2012-12-28, David Berg said:
15. On 2012-12-28, Gordon said:
16. On 2012-12-30, Josh W said:
17. On 2013-01-02, Vincent said:
GcL go "What I think the old Forge might have said"*
*click in for more
18. On 2013-01-05, Frank T said:
19. On 2013-01-08, David Berg said:
20. On 2013-01-18, Zach Donovan said: